Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I'm in the process of purchasing a fridge for the back of our Xterra. My question is, how is everyone that has a fridge/freezer powering the unit? Solar? Dual Battery? Single/Starter Battery? Larger Starter Battery? I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to run the fridge for up to maybe 3 days without having to start the car. I've seen a ton of different ways of powering a Fridge, but I'm curious to know what the Xterra community is doing. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Curious as well. I've seen a few vauge posts about people being able to run them for a few days off a stand alone deep cycle not wired into anything.

·
Professional Amateur Wanderer
476 Posts
I have been able to run an ARB 50 quart fridge for 2.5 days off an Odyssey PC-1500 that is also my primary and only battery without any issues. But, I also carry a NOCO Genius GB40 jumpstarter just in case. I have never had to use it on my vehicle, I have used it on a number of other's rigs on several trips however. I did however upgrade my alternator to the DC Power 270A from Rugged Rocks a while back to keep the Odyssey battery happy. Look up @nworker 's posts on his LiFePO4 battery setup, that is actually on my to do list now.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm running a 35qt Dometic fridge off of my single Odyssey PC1500 as well. I also have a lithium jumpstarter as backup (and my truck is manual so there's that backup as well for starting). I HAVE actually run the battery down a couple times where I needed the jumpstarter but that was before I got the Odyssey. Since then I've not run it down. I don't have a winch so I have no real need to run a second battery ... yet. I think for 3 days you'd likely need solar to charge whatever battery system you end up with but I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have had the fridge since before the Xterra. Old ARB rebranded Engle. 70W solar panel on the roof and the starting battery. Runs fine in fridge mode for days. Freezer mode isn't good. Trying to remember if it has been 7 or 8 years been running like this.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
120v ac and a 50ft cord.

·
Registered
834 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
I upgraded to an Odyssey AGM battery after running my ARB fridge/freezer on a 2 week vacation in hot weather killed my original battery. Have had no problems running down the battery since, even in hot weather and set to below freezing, though I haven't run the fridge for more than a day or two. Also keep a Li-ion jumper pack as part of my emergency kit, just in case.

I also ended up getting the ARB wiring kit and running it to just behind the rear passenger's seat via an aux fusebox I ran off the battery. The screw on connector is more sturdy and less likely to get broken or disconnected compared to using the 12V plug adapter and socket by the rear door. Also, it seemed to eliminate the problem I was having with the fridge's automatic low voltage shutoff being too sensitive due to the voltage drop in the truck's standard wiring.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I have had the fridge since before the Xterra. Old ARB rebranded Engle. 70W solar panel on the roof and the starting battery. Runs fine in fridge mode for days. Freezer mode isn't good. Trying to remember if it has been 7 or 8 years been running like this.
Was it drawing too much or are you saying it just didn't work well at keeping freezing temps?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Leave it on freeze all night (it can still be 90 at night here in AZ in the summer) and the battery will be very low in the morning. As in gauges flicker, lights are dim, but at least in the summer it will start in the morning with a low battery. I did that once coming home from the grocery store and forgot to turn the fridge off of full cold. In fridge mode it is fine. Nice part is the solar will charge just by leaving it parked outside. Even with the fridge running, the battery will still take a charge. The solar make more power than the fridge consumes.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
@CKayaks - Cass, do you know if this panel continue to function if a small section of the panel is shaded?
Yes, it does from what I have seen on my trips to the coastal mountains here in CA. Have not put a meter on it to see how much it effects the amperage but I still get flow out of it. Those trips have been a day or two.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So I'm running my 40qt Engel fridge off of my AGM starter battery from Advanced Auto. So long as the truck is run every 2 days, it doesn't die. The way I do trips, I've never stayed in one place for more than an overnight period.

·
Registered
328 Posts
So I'm running my 40qt Engel fridge off of my AGM starter battery from Advanced Auto. So long as the truck is run every 2 days, it doesn't die. The way I do trips, I've never stayed in one place for more than an overnight period.
This. When I first got my fridge (it was in my lifted Suburban) I left it on to see how long till it killed the battery. It was (as I recall) about 5 days. But I've never used it for more than 2 without driving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts