Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I just moved to a place with lots of mountains and beaches to explore... I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I've been looking at xterras and I think I've found one near me that might be the ticket. I know there's different generations and such but am looking for input on whether this is a good model year for reliability, mods, etc...before buying. It's a 2006 off-road version, 4x4 6speed with less than 20k miles and just under $16k. I'm also looking at the 4runner and maybe the subaru outback.

Thanks for any thoughts!

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Wow, that's low mileage! My X is three years old and I'm just about to crack 27k.

Just two things to watch out for with the 06 manuals. Possible bad fuel sending unit, and plastic timing chain guides which wear prematurely are the chief concerns. I believe both are on recall. Had this been an auto, you'd also be checking the radiator and transmission fluid for contamination but that's not a concern for the MTs.

As to mods, the Xterra has only had a few minor changes over the years. Different radiators and related parts post-08, a facelift, mildly updated dash, roof lights, spline patterns, and little things like that. Most things that can be bolted onto a 2014 X can be bolted onto a 2006.

The 4Runner, in comparison (assuming you are looking at a similar year) will probably be a better daily driver. The X is pretty rough in comparison (even though they're both framed trucks). It's also a little bigger than the X IIRC, with a longer wheelbase, so it might not necessarily go places as readily as the X could. Third generation and up, though, you'll want the X.

The Outback won't compare to either of them for adventuring.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The 05-06 Xterras were plagued by problems- fuel sending , timing chain, auto tran/radiator. For $16k youd be silly to pay that. You can get a brand new Outback in the low 20's. For light off roading, snow etc the Outback cant be beat . The Outback is actually roomier than the Xterra. The CVT turned me off but you can get a manual new for even cheaper. If most of your driving I wouldnt think of an Xterra before 09 after reading these forums.

Hi!
I just moved to a place with lots of mountains and beaches to explore... I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I've been looking at xterras and I think I've found one near me that might be the ticket. I know there's different generations and such but am looking for input on whether this is a good model year for reliability, mods, etc...before buying. It's a 2006 off-road version, 4x4 6speed with less than 20k miles and just under $16k. I'm also looking at the 4runner and maybe the subaru outback.

Thanks for any thoughts!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
An Outback will go anywhere most SUVs (explorers, blazers, ) can , get 20+mpg easily, and have the safety features of a car as well as more room than many suv's. That is what made it great- my 04 Outback had more of a German than Japanese feel driving , handled all wether/road/light off road conditions got up to 30 mpg and was comfortable as heck. Plus the Subaru AWD is superior to most 4wd systems for on road poor road conditions

I hate that the refer to Outback as an SUV. It is a lifted station wagon!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
An Outback will go anywhere most SUVs (explorers, blazers, ) can , get 20+mpg easily, and have the safety features of a car as well as more room than many suv's. That is what made it great- my 04 Outback had more of a German than Japanese feel driving , handled all wether/road/light off road conditions got up to 30 mpg and was comfortable as heck. Plus the Subaru AWD is superior to most 4wd systems for on road poor road conditions
I owned 2 subarus and I hated driving them both. I know people love them but they were definitely not for me. They were both 0 fun to drive and were void of personality IMHO. One of them was a even a tuned wrx. I made my wife drive the wrx so I could get something fun again. I would never compare them to anything german. Even an under powered golf TDI was more fun to drive then the wrx. I didn't really enjoy them in the snow either. The backend on both of them would skip out unexpectedly. I much prefer driving the xterra in the snow. Gas mileage may be a decent point but OP didn't mention that... Except I am still getting 18-20mpg and can go were a Subaru can't.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Mountains and beaches, must be NC or VA if on the East coast. Anyway great place to take the X either way. I have a 08 Xterra S and at 130K I have had almost no problems. One alternator (that had been submerged a few times :) - and a couple of pensioner pulleys. The big thing is SMOD - and I replaced my rad pre-emptively but never had an issue with it and its only any automatic trans thing. If you do buy an X with an auto its only 600 bucks to have the radiator swapped out - or do it yourself like I did for under 200. I think they did finally fix it in like 2010.

I would avoid the Subaru's - they have a bunch of repetitive problems too I believe - like corrosion in the cooling system and warping cyldiner heads or something like that. Every vehicle has flee's - so buy what you like and do your research, a lot of problems are either easy to avoid or fix if you no what your looking for.

4 Runners are cool but expensive. The suburu's are good cars for what they are, but their not a off road vehicle. Maybe bad road vehicle would be a better description. No road - leave the sub at home.

Having said that - 16K for that old even with lower miles sounds a little high priced.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The OP can get whatever vehicle he likes but no way would I pay $16 k for an 8 year old vehicle that can be had new (s trim) for mid $20k's Pay a few $$ per month and get new. The 2010-2014 Xterra are the best that Nissan will ever be able to do with this model. Soon it will be a Rouge. Jeep turned the Cherokee into a bubble mobile

·
on line
848 Posts
Depends on what your definition of 'exploring' is.

Pavement, mild to not so mild off-roading - take your pic.
I have seen Subaru's go amazing places.

Tough/rough off-roading - Older Four Runner, Older Land Cruiser, Xterra or (gasp) Jeep.

Toy Man

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow thanks for all the replies!! Definitely some food for thought. MPG isn't a huge issue as I don't commute, but would just drive for adventures. Probably a minimal amount of real wheeling - more transport up to the mountain, beaches, and for carrying gear (kayak, surf, etc). The subie and even the element I have on my mind because I agree they can probably get to most places without too much difficulty.

I was thinking that perhaps the deal was a good one considering low mileage and some extras already on it.

Appreciate all the input! I'm in Oregon.

Here's the car in question:
http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/4227162685.html

·
Registered
378 Posts
You would have the coolest color, my favorite! Change that steering wheel cover or what that ugly thing is :) Definitely have a look at her, drive test it, try to negotiate, but looks clean, nice.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Wow thanks for all the replies!! Definitely some food for thought. MPG isn't a huge issue as I don't commute, but would just drive for adventures. Probably a minimal amount of real wheeling - more transport up to the mountain, beaches, and for carrying gear (kayak, surf, etc). The subie and even the element I have on my mind because I agree they can probably get to most places without too much difficulty.

I was thinking that perhaps the deal was a good one considering low mileage and some extras already on it.

Appreciate all the input! I'm in Oregon.

Here's the car in question:
http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/4227162685.html
Just remember, the Outback and Element are lower than the 4runner and X and have no protection underneath. Your OR there should have (thin) skid plates stock not to mention the OR drive components. It'll be harder to load things on top (unless you're a tall fella) but you'll have peace of mind knowing it can get you out of trouble better than the little guys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts