Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 05 x auto with 4.0 2wd
I had the tranny coolant problem 4 years ago and had radiator replaced and a new transmission put it. Here in the last 2 months the car will periodically over heat and pour coolant from the overflow reserve tank. I've had the radiator coolant fan motor replaced, fan clutch, thermostat and caps on the radiator and reserve tank replaced. On my wife's way home today, after having the car "fixed" Friday, it happened again. Temp gauge started climbing and when she pulled over, coolant was leaking out. ANY THOUGHTS? Maybe my radiator is clogged? Bad relay? Spent $500 on the crap so far, idk what else is happening. Thanks for any feed back.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
It needs to be diagnosed and can't be done over the internet. You have replaced most everything it could be. It could be a water pump, it could be the thermostat if you didn't use OEM. Are both hoses the same temp or is one hotter than the other?

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I know you're 2WD, but have you ever been through mud? That stuff gets caked on the front and back and can cause quite the headache

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it's never been thru mud. It's the wife's car and it just happens sometimes after 2 weeks, sometimes after a few days. I can let it run for ever in the driveway and it'll never happen. I've had all the work stated by a shop here in town. I'm pissed they haven't diagnosed it themselves already after that much money. I haven't messed with the water pump or checked the hoses. This is kind of past my knowledge base now.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's all oem. I know the clutch and motor were, can only assume til Monday the thermostat is oem as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
It might be a waterpump, but usually when they are done, they are done. Not intermittent.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I've heard as well. A good friend of mine mentioned it could be a relay? Besides fan motor, what else is electrical instead of mechanical like the majority of the system. At this point I'm just trying to save money by not throwing more at changing every single part. I can't find a leak anywhere, when it does over heat it's coming out of the reserve tank side.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Have you replaced/checked both caps for failure? The reservoir should have a funny looking cap and the radiator has a flat one. If there is a pressure loss in the system this can cause the temperature to rise. Basically PT = PT. If the pressure decreases, temp will need to increase to balance it out.

I don't have much advice on the water pump. Is the engine making an unusual sound? Maybe due to failing bearings in the water pump?

EDIT: sorry, didn't re-read the first post about replacing the caps.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
The primary cooling fan is mechanical, not electric so relays aren't an issue. There is a secondary fan for the A/C that is electrical. As far as cooling fan goes, only thing that can go wrong is the fan clutch or broken blades.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well all of that is either new or in working condition. Possibly radiator has debris? Something in lines clogging water pump sometimes? Idk what's up. I know I'm asking questions that aren't internet answers exactly. Just trying to brain storm. Thank y'all for any help and suggestions.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Honestly it is probably going to be either:

Water Pump ( sometimes they leak, sometimes not when bad, sometimes impeller falls apart)
Fan Clutch (some fail locked, some unlocked, check and see if it free spins when overheating.)
Thermostat (One hose will be hot but the other much cooler when overheating)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well clutch and thermostat are new so maybe the water pump. Are our pumps inside the block?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about a head gasket? Could that be an intermittent problem or is that more of a bad or good?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had these symptoms on my montero. Your radiator might have crap on the front of it. No joke.

The very front thing you see is actually the AC radiator and not the engine radiator. Quick easy way to tell is to use a pressure washer from the back side in the fan area. Easy to do at the car wash. If ****e starts coming out the bottom that was it.

Or take the radiator off and look at the front.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts