Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Hood Rust Issue! HELP PLEASE!

1862 Views 16 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  BigBearOverlander
Hi there everyone!

I have a 2008 Xterra Off-Road Edition that has a couple of spots of bad rust on the hood. They were caused by the previous owner who had a bug guard on the lip of the hood that caught a ton of tree bits and water. I didn't know about these spots until I chose to remove the bug guard. I'm looking for some advice on how to fix this rust. I know I could just go to a body shop and have them fix it but I know that's not a cheap fix. I think because of where I live I could almost just buy a new hood for the cost to fix this rust. I have a DIY idea to maybe "deal with it" but I would love your opinion on it, if it's a totally dumb idea or if it might be an okay idea but maybe needs a little tweak. I was thinking about maybe sanding the entire lip of the bumper from left to right, just the part that curves down. Then paint it with a basic black Bedliner? I know it wouldn't look super bada$$, but my thinking is that it will at least protect it from getting worse, and if I really hate the look of it, I still have the bug guard that I can put back onto the hood and that would cover the lip of the hood. I've just never painted bare car metal so would I need to do anything beforehand? Or would I just sand it and then spray it with the Bedliner? Do I need to prime?

Any help, advice, or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. If it's a totally stupid idea let me know! I can take it, haha Or if you have a better idea please by all means let me know! I'm game for anything!
See less See more
1 - 1 of 17 Posts
I'd be OK with bedliner, for this purpose. It'll look out of place unless you do some other parts (bumpers/plastics/grill,rockers) to make it 'match' a little better, IMO.

If you're spraying that front edge.... where do you stop at the sides? That body line flows up the hood. So.... do you plan to follow it all they up the hood?
Maybe consider doing the entire raised center area of the hood?

I'm pretty sure you'll end up with more time and money into it than swapping the hood out....so don't start unless you want the practice or the end result. Otherwise, just work towards the look you LIKE. Then again... some sandpaper and a can of DIY bed coating isn't THAT expensive if you just want to do a quick and dirty job, shoot it and see. Worst case, you end up back looking for a hood.
1 - 1 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.