Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
You will take a good MPG hit with the heavy Load Range E STT Pro but the Duratracs can be had in Load Range C which, to me, is they way to go if you daily drive it and you pretty much only do mud and little to no rock crawling.

LOL. I'm running some Cooper STT Maxx in 255//85/16 and they've been awesome but I'd like to drop down to some load range C tires but I've only got about 25K miles on the STTs and they still look like new. I'm one of those people who cannot bring himself to replace something that still has useful life. For that reason, I never worry about treadwear warranties and stuff like 100K mile sparkplugs - I always want to try something new way before they're ready to NEED replacing! WTH right? It's one of my hobbies as well as transport!
Thanks, and good point on the 6-ply. I am running 6-ply now and I didn't notice any mileage impact at all from those.
The Xterra isn't my daily - my 2019 Frontier SV 4x4 is my primary vehicle, so I'm not super concerned about tire noise, or mpg hit from a tire swap on the Xterra. However, I am leaning more towards the Duratrac's. I think they will probably handle and wear better in the mostly highway use my Xterra sees, but still give me much improved off-road performance over the current Cooper AT3's. I really wish I would have thought about this a year ago when I upped the Fronty to 265/75's I could have just put the AT3's from the X on the Fronty, and upgraded the X. oh well, lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Thanks, and good point on the 6-ply. I am running 6-ply now and I didn't notice any mileage impact at all from those.
The Xterra isn't my daily - my 2019 Frontier SV 4x4 is my primary vehicle, so I'm not super concerned about tire noise, or mpg hit from a tire swap on the Xterra. However, I am leaning more towards the Duratrac's. I think they will probably handle and wear better in the mostly highway use my Xterra sees, but still give me much improved off-road performance over the current Cooper AT3's. I really wish I would have thought about this a year ago when I upped the Fronty to 265/75's I could have just put the AT3's from the X on the Fronty, and upgraded the X. oh well, lol.
I had load C Duratracs before my current Yokohama Geolanda G003 MTs. They were darn impressive in the mud for an all terrain tire and are a great compromise in my opinion! My set never balance well (bought from ebay) and they developed cuts in the tread and sidewall relatively easily. (Not sure if it was their fault or not) I am going to do at tire comparison video soon talking about the pros and cons of these two tires. I would currently recommend Duratracs based on weight alone for the average off-roader. I would carry a full size spare though just in case.

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
188 Posts
I am sorry. Again, I am not trying to create drama, but why are some members giving HondaPilotOverland any attention? I watched some of his videos before he posted here. However, I will never watch one of his videos again.

As to MikeD, Pilot guy said you two planned to troll this forum. Is that true? If so, why?

·
on line
588 Posts
In all seriousness and sincerity, I can't believe that those AT3's are considered as off road tires..........and then I checked Coopers website. They aren't. None of the AT3 line are off road tires. Cooper classifies them as an All Season Tire. Those Yoke Geo's he's running on that Honda are one of the tires I am considering currently.

·
on line
588 Posts
So in summary, this could’ve been a thread / video simply saying “MT tires outperform AT tires in mud”...I wonder if the tires companies know this? lol

If wanting to grow a channel, why come to a forum and troll instead of doing something that would create genuine interest? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

best part of this whole thread is a chili recipe
;-p
They're not even an AT, they're an AS.

·
on line
588 Posts
There could be some new tires in the not too distant future... I'll probably go up to 285's. Maybe Cooper STT Pro or Wrangler Duratrac - But I'll have to find someone local who wants a set of Discoverer AT3 LT265/75/16 6-Ply with hardly any miles on them & good tread first, otherwise it's just throwing money away to replace them right now.
Both of these tires have a large following.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am sorry. Again, I am not trying to create drama, but why are some members giving HondaPilotOverland any attention? I watched some of his videos before he posted here. However, I will never watch one of his videos again.

As to MikeD, Pilot guy said you two planned to troll this forum. Is that true? If so, why?
Do you really have nothing better to do than to come back over here and do exactly what you are claiming not to be doing? create drama...

Not that I owe you or anyone else any explanation, but I didn't plan to do anything. I didn't come on here to troll anything. I was made aware of what the video title and thumbnail/caption would be, and that he intended to share the video here - which I didn't see a problem with. It's not off topic, we wheeled my Xterra and his Pilot. It did end up turning into a trolling post with the title, and then you guys came along and jumped all over it. Stepped all in it, etc... There wasn't an issue until you made one.

You're free to not read any posts you don't like here, Tom. You're also free to not watch any video content you don't like to watch, Tom.
Nobody is forcing you come back on this post. If it bothers you so much, move along... Go read something else. Try it, it'll be great for all of us!

·
Registered
73 Posts
In all seriousness and sincerity, I can't believe that those AT3's are considered as off road tires..........and then I checked Coopers website. They aren't. None of the AT3 line are off road tires. Cooper classifies them as an All Season Tire. Those Yoke Geo's he's running on that Honda are one of the tires I am considering currently.
I think they fit somewhere between a dedicated highway tire, and an all terrain tire. They definitely have a more aggressive tread pattern than a regular highway all-season, but not quite aggressive enough for the muddy conditions we faced on the trails on that Saturday. For what it's worth: the AT3's did handle pretty good when it wasn't muddy. I had them aired down to about 20psi. If you're doing mostly street driving, with the occasional dirt road or light mud thrown in there - they will work just fine, but take it from me - they are not the best tire choice to wheel at Uwharrie in the rain!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Last post on this topic.
I am not trying to reignite drama.

You seem to have a different understanding of "last post on this topic" and "not trying to create drama".

·
Registered
2,455 Posts

Reactions: RubyX

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Didn't watch the video, hopefully this thread just dies since there's so much trolling, overreaction, and shitposting. But before that happens I wanted to mention something about the tires.

Despite the wording on the website, the Cooper AT3's are definitely an all terrain tire. I'm guessing there's some marketing genius behind what you're seeing. They even list the S/T MAXX as "All Season", and it's pretty clearly an aggressive all terrain design, maybe even more accurate to say a hybrid AT / MT tire.

ExPo did a big test of all terrains several years ago and the Coopers were highly reviewed

I ran a set of the original A/T3's about 30K miles. I really liked them and they did well in most all conditions, but I never sought out any mud, it just finds you sometimes. Review here:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't like Honda, never did, never will. Go away. Your a TROLL>>>>>

My Chili Cheat Recipe

Ingredients
Ingredient Checklist
  • 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1 medium onion chopped into small chunks
  • 16 ounces canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 16 ounces canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cans STAGG chili
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 Jalapeno pepper.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Don't like Honda, never did, never will. Go away. Your a TROLL>>>>>

My Chili Cheat Recipe

Ingredients
Ingredient Checklist
  • 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1 medium onion chopped into small chunks
  • 16 ounces canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 16 ounces canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cans STAGG chili
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 Jalapeno pepper.
I am totally unsure what that is - but its definitely not chili.

Having said that if it has Jalapeno in it I will still eat it anyway. Jalapeno can fix about anything.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts