Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's quite a well set up Pilot, he covers this in other videos. The Xterra looks stock ish. A proper comparison would have had each vehicle operated by both drivers over the same obstacles in order to cancel out experience bias. This is more trolling than anything.
I agree with all of you and I am definitely trolling (please don't hate me). I am just thankful that the unconventional off-roader I built a Youtube channel around was able to prove itself on the Jeep trails of Uwharrie National Park. It exceeded my expectations in every way. My buddy is on this forum and will chime in eventually, but every rig that didn't have a locker was struggling this day. The Pilot's VTM-4 (rear locking clutch system) was able to take advantage of my skinny (235-85-16) Yokohama Geolandar MT tires and found tons of traction when most where spinning wheels. All in all it is actually pretty surprising how similar the Xterra and Pilot clearance angles and wheel base are.

I was tickled when my previous video was discussed on this forum. You guys really do drive an amazing vehicle!

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
998 Posts
Good advise, This is Uwharrie National Park, there where hundreds of vehicles on the trails this day. Are you saying if I went second I would have had a harder time?
After several vehicles rut and tear up a muddy trail it certainly makes it harder. The only downside to being first is being the Guinea pig for best line. Your Pilot seems to handle the trails really well!

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
160 Posts
I agree with all of you and I am definitely trolling (please don't hate me). I am just thankful that the unconventional off-roader I built a Youtube channel around was able to prove itself on the Jeep trails of Uwharrie National Park. It exceeded my expectations in every way. My buddy is on this forum and will chime in eventually, but every rig that didn't have a locker was struggling this day. The Pilot's VTM-4 (rear locking clutch system) was able to take advantage of my skinny (235-85-16) Yokohama Geolandar MT tires and found tons of traction when most where spinning wheels. All in all it is actually pretty surprising how similar the Xterra and Pilot clearance angles and wheel base are.

I was tickled when my previous video was discussed on this forum. You guys really do drive an amazing vehicle!
I want to start by saying you have a beautiful family and you are a lucky person.

I am NOT questioning the capability of your Pilot or your driving skills. However, the Xterra's performance seemed "anemic" to me which could be due to the driver, the equipment, or both.

I never rode that trail before. However, I am pretty sure I could have kept up with the Xterra if I was driving my former Honda Acord V6 coupe.

Who knows, maybe Hondas are just superior?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to start by saying you have a beautiful family and you are a lucky person.

I am NOT questioning the capability of your Pilot or your driving skills. However, the Xterra's performance seemed "anemic" to me which could be due to the driver, the equipment, or both.

I never rode that trail before. However, I am pretty sure I could have kept up with the Xterra if I was driving my former Honda Acord V6 coupe.

Who knows, maybe Hondas are just superior?
The camera flattens everything, your Accord wouldn't have made it over the first hump in the trail. LOL
The Xterra has to be in low to lock. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that make him have to crawl?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After several vehicles rut and tear up a muddy trail it certainly makes it harder. The only downside to being first is being the Guinea pig for best line. Your Pilot seems to handle the trails really well!
I was following Jeeps most of the time, I was really impressed with the Yokohama Geolandar G003 MT Skinnies I am running!

·
Registered
69 Posts
However, the Xterra's performance seemed "anemic" to me which could be due to the driver, the equipment, or both.
It’s easy to criticize when you weren’t the one driving it. The video really doesn’t do justice to the trail conditions out there that day.

By the way, I posted an invite for anyone who wanted to come - I can’t help but notice NOBODY else on here came out, but it’s all good... say I’m a bad driver.

Forgive me for remembering I still had to drive my rig 4 hours back home...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It’s easy to criticize when you weren’t the one driving it. The video really doesn’t do justice to the trail conditions out there that day.

By the way, I posted an invite for anyone who wanted to come - I can’t help but notice NOBODY else on here came out, but it’s all good... say I’m a bad driver.

Mike you did a great job and I think we can both agree we learned a lot! Next time the conditions will probably be dry and traction won't be so hard to find!

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
160 Posts

If you could do it over again what, if anything, would you have done differently, to perform better?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Didn't realize your were a member of this forum.

Why did your Honda Pilot "friend" try to humiliate you by posting on a Xterra forum?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Didn't realize your were a member of this forum.

Why did your Honda Pilot "friend" try to humiliate you by posting on a Xterra forum?
Mike and I worked on this trolling scheme this morning :) We both know that his AT3's were the main issue. They weren't made for slick Uwharrie mud.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts