Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my WAAG center grille guard and I am trying to install it myself, but I cannot remove the tow hook bolts for the life of me. I put WD40 and let that sit on there for a bit, but still nothing. Anyone have any other ideas of what I can use to get these bolts off? I highly doubt they are rusted out considering the truck is only 2 years old.

·
on line
339 Posts
you need a breaker bar....

i was wrestling with my tow hook for a good 45 minutes before i got it off. i tried using an impact gun but all that did was crack my socket.

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnlam940 said:

i was wrestling with my tow hook for a good 45 minutes before i got it off. i tried using an impact gun but all that did was crack my socket.
sorry for the dumb question, but what is a breaker bar? and where can I get one? thank you

·
on line
5,614 Posts
malakia12 said:
johnlam940 said:

sorry for the dumb question, but what is a breaker bar? and where can I get one? thank you
Sometimes when I need one I used the top half of my 3.5 ton floorjack handle; works like a charm.

·
on line
268 Posts
/\ yep. Just get a pipe (metal, pvc, etc) to slip over your ratchet handle, wrench, whatever. The extra length on the pipe will give you plenty of leverage to break the bolts loose and won't cost a thing.

·
on line
255 Posts
Muzikman,
I'm proof of your statement. Destroyed the guts of a Craftsman 1/2 in. doing that. I took the damaged ratchet to Sears, told the salesman what I did and he just smiled and gave me a new ratchet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts