Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I will be installing lights on top of the X so I need to drill a hole for the wire through the roof. I have a 2006 OR

I do apologize is there is a thread regarding this already, but I could not find one.

I need to hole to not leak obviously.

What has everyone done in regards to drilling in the roof?

What do the Pro-4xs hole look like since they already have a hole for their roof lights?

·
on line
22,508 Posts
PIC HEAVY

Finally have time to mod, installed Shrock Sliders earlier this week, now I just installed Xoskel LoPro Light Cage w/4 KC's, (2 x Long Distance, 2 x Driving Flood type), Rear Bar with 55Watt Flood Lights, and a CB set up Uniden 520XL in Center Console and 2' Firestick w/Spring and Quick Disconnect in center of the Light Cage. The Rear Lights are Wired 3-way On-Off-Automatic On with Backup Lights anytime the Truck is shifted to Reverse. Lots of pictures so others considering this set up can plan their mods. Feel free to ask any questions.

Whaddya Guys Think?

Tips First:

*To avoid Drilling to far into anything like the Roof when Drilling the Wind Cowl or Visa Versa, slide a Socket over the Drill Bit

*To run Wires through the Roof I DO NOT Recommend just putting the Wires through a Hole in Sheet Metal and Siliconing it. Too much of a risk that chaffing will cause an Electrical Short or Water Leak. Instead buy some PVC cut a short piece, buy a Rubber Grommet to run the Pipe through. I made it so tight that I had to Lube the PVC to slide it through. That's how you want it. No Water Leaks this way, even without Silicone, and its easy to add more Wires later, if you add accessories.

*A good spot to Ground out your Lights is right near the Hole they run through above the Dome Light. Sand to Bare Metal around this little Hole in the pic and use a Sheet Metal screw to attach Ground Wires here, inside and away from the Elements, yet still close to the Lights. Shorter the Ground Wires the better.

*Peel off the NISSAN Letter Stickers, BEFORE you Mount the Cage, otherwise it looks Crappy behind it, and its harder to peel once everything is installed.

Lights:

Stealthed Ugly Yellow KC Covers (Idea Stolen from Rook!!: ;) )

Rear:

OTRATTW Switches:

CB Set-Up:

Having the CB Antenna centered on the Roof gives Optimum Performance. The Roof Bin can still be opened and closed. And the Quick Disconnect pops off the Antenna in seconds, sits bellow the highest point of the cage, so it still fits in the Garages and the CB Antenna can be stored in the Roof Bin when not in use. This combined with the CB in the Center Console makes the whole system "Stealth" when not needed.

The end. :D

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok but how will water not get into that hole? Did u take the wetbox off and put the hole and pvc there so the hole is blocked?

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Ok but how will water not get into that hole? Did u take the wetbox off and put the hole and pvc there so the hole is blocked?
This is located under the wind fairing, so it's well sheltered from rain. I taped up the top of the raised PVC tube and after 4 years, living in Portland Oregon, where it rains more than almost anywhere in the world, it's never leaked a drop. Dry as can be.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Surf and Snow's option will work well. Just as another option though, this is what I used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BPV9TY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=viglink121859-20

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=993447&postcount=372

ROOF LIGHT:

So, for the Roof Lights here are some of the key things I used:
Cord Grips for going through the Roof:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BPV9TY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wire to use with the Cord Grip:
Will get a link for this eventually, but it's basically two Wires Insulated together into one thick Wire so the Cord Grip can seal around it, (see pictures).

·
TNX Administrator
20,234 Posts
All (35) Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this Thread! :thumbup:

Reactions: brokefoot
1 - 10 of 10 Posts