Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question. Does anyone know what tools and sizes are needed to remove a hitch. A co-worker just bought a new Xterra and is giving me the hitch off the old one. I just have to come get it. Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
main bumper bolts are 14mm, 4 total, two on each side. It may have two more bolts total, one on each side, that bolts the hitch to the frame...those should be 12 mm (this would make for a total of 6 bolts). I would go with as large of a socket wrench as you have, those bolts are going to be tight...probably going to need a breaker bar. I would take off one of your bumper bolts and compare it to his. If the bolts on his are longer and have extra washers, take his as those would be bolts that came with the hitch, and then just throw yours back onto his truck. If he as the 12mm bolts you are going to want those as well. Hopefully my memory is correct and those are the right sizes.

Also, Curt hitches has a video of installing there bumper onto a second gen Xterra that should have all of this information as well....you can google it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was just under my bumper the other day - 19mm sockets needed for the OEM bolts (at least the three primary ones on the bumper itself). Some of my replacement bolts have 22mm heads.
Hmmm...yea i could be mistaken....OP, just look up that video....they state in the video what size and where everything is.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Take it to your local tire store (or anywhere that has air tools and you know them) and ask them to loosen the bolts for you with an impact wrench. If you know them well enough they should do it for free.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I might do that. What about the wiring for the tailights. Is that going to be a pain to undo?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
If you mean the hitch wiring it should be simple, the OEM set-up just unplugs from the vehicle harness on the driver rear framerail.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not worried about hooking up my lights to it. They are just afraid that once they unplug it that the taillights won't work. She's giving the whole truck away and wants to be sure everything still works. I'm taking the hitch and going to build a detachable tire carrier with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts