Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, maybe I have having a short-bus moment, but i think that the hitch pin that comes with the xterra's ball mount kit is way too short. It is a struggle and fight to try to clip the SOB, just not enough room, just barely, and it's a knuckle-buster. ANybody else notice this? Also, my kit came with a pin that appears to be bent (damaged). There is no way in hades to bend it back properly. has anybody else noticed this? Or is it just me? I am thinking of just buying a longer pin, which should resolve this.. just curious if i should get medicated or not...

thanks...

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Your hitch pin is too short??? Sounds like a personal problem... :geek:

Sorry--Had to say it

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hardy freaking har har.....

i am using another pin, that may be too short for the hitch. I will need to pull out the one that came with the x and use that with my new clip.... I still say based on memory, it's too short..... the clip goes on at an angle related to the groove in the pin...

·
on line
294 Posts
is the short pin the same diameter as the one u're now using? i helped some customer load up a log splitter on his truck once, and he was having a hell of a time trying to get the pin to lock (too short). turns out i looked at it and he had a smaller diameter pin (shorter too) that is for 1-3/8" boxed hitches and he had a 2" box. This may have happened (mistakes happen at the factory too) as they may have accidentally mis-packaged it.

Either that, or its bent way out of shape.

·
on line
564 Posts
The clip that came with my hitch has a weird bend in it, but it still works. Actually, once you get used to it it locks relatively easily...you just twist it and it locks in.

Rob

·
on line
294 Posts
sounds to me like hes talking about the pin itself, not the clip.

i agree about the clip, tho. its hard at first, but easy when you get used to it.

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well for the life of me i can't see how the clip is supposed to work with the pin.... I dug in the closet and found my old lockable pin so I will use that. I cleaned it up a bit and it works like a charm...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts