Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not sure if it's the xterras aerodynamics or whatnot, but i can't seem to cruise the highway comfortably with the windows all the way down. i get huge blasts of wind directly to my face lol

my old isuzu trooper was great driving w/ the windows down...i never really got any big gusts go through the cabin unless it was pretty windy outside.......maybe the brick-like shape of trooper had something to do with this....

anyways, i haven't had much time to experiment but having all windows halfway down seems to be half way decent....

are those wind deflectors effective with the windows all the way down?

·
on line
1,618 Posts
I have in channel ventvisors. No complaints on wind noise. Only complaint is that the the rear visors never set right. If I roll the rear windows down, they get stuck on the way back up. The rear of the visor pulls inward when I roll it down, and I have to open the rear door, press it in, and then roll it up. Gonna put some JB Weld in a syringe, and shoot some in there, as I believe the adhesive tape was the problem. Still better IMO than sticking them to the paint. Oh, and my wife was throwing tennis balls for our dogs, and shattered the drivers side rear. Gonna try to get it warrantied. Doubt that will work. I do really like being able to park with my windows down, and no one can tell they are open.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i drive over 80 miles highway everyday, i've found if you put all the windows all the way down you get not air blowing into your face...i usually put them all halfway down so a little wind hits the side of my head. if you just put the front windows down then yes, a lot of wind will come towards your head.

·
on line
27 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one...

I thought I was going to get blown right out of the drivers seat the first time I hit the highway with the 2 front windows down.

All of the vehicles I've owned in the last 10 years have had VentVisors, so I thought maybe that was it. I can't tell you if that will fix it or not as I have yet to purchase them for the X

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I enjoy the wind in my face, now only if I could get the top off :geek:

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I usually crack the front windows and roll the back ones down.

·
on line
612 Posts
About that whole top off thing, I've been thinking of the possibility of cutting a whole in the roof about where the cargo basket is and having a retractable vinyl cover or something like that. What does anyone know about cutting that area out?

Remember that this has just been a thought and I don't have any idea what it would take to do that. But it sounds cool to me.

·
on line
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, that'd be pretty crazy.

gotta make sure you put in some type of raised lip around the cutout so water doesn't flow into your cabin though.

also, you might run into a few square crossbeams that might be a pain to cut.

·
on line
190 Posts
I'd go to a salvage yard, see if they have a trashed x and see if they will let you cut that first in the name of science.

·
on line
612 Posts
Hmmmm... both good ideas, I was thinking that I could install something into the rivnuts to make it have a channel there and then I would have to worry about the sides....lemme think seriously about this one for a minute. Maybe we can start a think tank.
:scratch:

Cutting into a wrecked X eh? What do you think that'd run? Me thinks I'm going to a junkyard to experiment, even if it doesn't work out I'll have fun, and learn from it a bit. Nothing to lose except time and money.

:scratch:

hmmmm....

·
on line
612 Posts
Perhaps a belt rail system like they use on the Jeep softops. That seems to work pretty well for them. Just box in the crossmembers and that might work? Does anyone know how they Pathy sunroofs are? I know they don't have the same roof, but if there's a way to mimic the structure....

Holy crap I'm getting ahead of myself. I might work...... mayhaps?

·
on line
32 Posts
well, If you thinking about just cutting a sunroof, why stop there. Be the first open air Xterra

Leave it to those Jeepers to be a little crazy

Shaun

·
on line
612 Posts
That'd be fun as hell, but I still need it to be a daily driver in Atlanta. Sorry, I like to have a little shelter from that "Hotlanta" thing that happens during the summer.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Think wind buffeting is bad, you should be in my king cab when I have the windows down. If I had hair, I would look like I got ravaged by a sexy blonde chick named Ingrid. I usually have to open the rear slider window.

Good luck on cutting open your X, you are a better man than I. I woulnd't even think about slicing into my new truck. As with for the warranty, we all know the way Nissan thinks. That hole in your roof changed your aerodynamics, which caused your engine to work harder, which busted your front diff. Warranty denied.

·
on line
612 Posts
Now that you put it in that perspective, I don't even think it's worth doing it to my own vehicle. I might just go cut up a junked X and see what happens. If I do that, there will definitely be some pics. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts