Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Dudes,
My 2006 X revs quite high on startup, I don't touch the gas, I just crank it over and it roars. Is this normal, can I get it adjusted or do it myself?
With temps dropping steadily here in the Northeast I cringe when I start it cold and it revs like that.

Your feedback is genuinely appreciated as always.

Fastbrake

·
on line
161 Posts
depends on engine temp at startup..... no big deal. Mine usually gets up past 2 then if its cold it idles above 1, and if it has been run that day it stays below 1

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Mine too seems a tad high or at least I felt that way when I first got it, now it seems normal...

·
on line
844 Posts
not that it really gets cold in florida, but the other day it dropped into the 50's and mine did something kinda similar. probably a computer thing to bring the engine to temp when it's cold.

·
on line
168 Posts
It's a computer thing you have no control over. It is designed that way. My understanding is that it is supposed to heat the catalytic converter on startup. They all do it. My brother in-law has a 05 Pathfinder (same engine) and it does it as well.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Yup there's nothing you can do. It's computer controlled and will cause the engine to do that. It should only last for a couple of seconds then drop down to above or below a grand depending on if you started the engine already that day or not.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: --I think the Nissan engineers have done a fabulous job--

--I've had a lot of vehicles and this Xterra gets to operating temp in less than 5 minutes, which is the FASTEST I've ever seen--

-- :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
revs

Thanks for the replies. I was just concerned about excessive engine wear on startup in col weather.

Appreciate the input...

fastbrake

·
on line
3,217 Posts
If you're worried about it then make sure that you have the right viscosity in the engine during the cold periods. It should have 5W-30

·
Read Only
656 Posts
--I've had a lot of vehicles and this Xterra gets to operating temp in less than 5 minutes, which is the FASTEST I've ever seen--

I've had 3 Saabs and they all warmed up quicker than any other vehicles I have owned. It is exactly one mile from my house to the stop light leading out of our subdivision. 25 MPH speed limit. I drive 20 MPH. Three minutes til I'm out on the main drag and the Saabs are always warm by then. The X is not to shabby, though. Another 1/2 mile out of the neighborhood and it is nice and toasty. Wish I had heated seats, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts