Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I wanted to share my experience and give you a small review of a pair of headlights that I purchased ($732) from HIDProjections.com. On their website, it says ”HIDprojectors is committed to providing high-quality parts and sound technical support. We strive to bring you the best products that have been TRIED and TESTED FOR SAFE OPERATION. Unfortunately, with any item, there is a VERY SMALL chance problems will arise". I believed in their statement and thought what can go wrong, right? WRONG!! They sent me faulty headlights

I don't recommend this company and here is why.

As soon as my items were shipped, Tom emailed me and thanked me for my business and stated that if I needed any further assistance that I should reply to his email and he would gladly help me.

ISSUE #1: CLIPS & SEALANT
Upon receiving them I immediately could tell there were major cosmetic flaws, the clips were not clipped and the sealant was coming out. So I messaged Tom directly and I sent him pictures and a brief description of the issues I was having with the lights, and to my surprise, he just redirected me to Customer Support. Nothing was fixed or suggested.

ISSUE #2: HIGH & LOW BEAM WERE SENT REVERSED

I hired a professional to install my new headlights and there was another issue. The high beams and low beams were switched. I sent an email to Customer Support and they said “Sorry about this, we usually catch it but this one slipped through” (THE SAME EXCUSE THEY GIVE EVERYONE. I THOUGHT YOU TESTED YOUR PRODUCTS BEFORE SENDING THEM OUT?) and told me to fix it myself so I paid someone to fix THEIR mistake.

ISSUE #3: LIGHT PROJECTION ISN'T THE SAME THAT IS BEING ADVERTISED

They said I was comparing my lights to an upgraded version of my lights that had just come out a couple of days ago. Ok, so I looked up the actual photo of the older version, and yeah still not the same.

ISSUE #4: DRIVERS SIDE HEADLIGHT WON'T ALIGN PROPERLY

Then upon aligning the lights we saw another issue. The passenger side headlight would go higher but not on the driver's side. When the passenger side headlights were lowered to the height of the driver side it was dangerously low. I could hardly see anything in dark areas.

Their response was “if you tried to adjust it and it won't go up any higher I will need to take a look at the headlight myself. There may be an issue internally. Would you like me to send you a return label so we can troubleshoot the lights and send them back your way?.”

Now you may think, what are you complaining about if they offered you to fix it? Well at this point I was completely done with their carelessness. I would understand if max I had 1 or 2 issues with the headlights but 4 is not acceptable. For $732, I expected this product to work without coming across the SAME issues that previous customers have had 2/3 years ago. I don't trust these headlights and I don't trust this company to "fix" the headlights and to send them back to later have the same issues or even more issues down the road (like another customer who left an Amazon review. Will insert pic below). I did not want to risk myself or any other drivers if the headlights suddenly gave out while driving or hurt someone by not having the proper light projection. There had been too many issues that should have been checked by the company before it was sent. Therefore, I asked to send these defective headlights in exchange for a full refund. They denied my request because I had installed the headlights. Wow, but how was I going to know about all of these issues if I didn't install them??

They tried blaming the carrier for the damage but I find that to be BS on their part. How is it that other customers are having the same exact issues? (Alignment, wires being switched up, can't see at night, etc).

I am not stopping anyone from purchasing from this company. Hopefully, by sharing my experience you and others can learn from my loss.

I can't insert a lot of pictures here so I will be leaving a link to my detailed review on youtube .

Thank you and if you have any other suggestions on products to upgrade my lights I would really appreciate it. I currently still have the original ones when I got the car in ‘05.

· Registered
843 Posts
I've been rocking a brand called Katana, model 9007, since May 2019 and I highly recommend them. They’re a drop in replacement LED bulb. They adjusted perfectly and it’s a clear white light.
His post is about full projector retrofits, not a led bulb.

I'd definitely be pissed about them not aligning properly. I would send them back and let them fix it though, as this is really the only major problem you have.

- The high/low being crossed is unacceptable for the price, but it's easy enough to fix. It's understandable that they told you how to fix it rather than sending them back.

- The output picture from their website has the projectors aligned significantly differently than yours are. Your picture is in a city with other light sources present. Theirs is in the middle of the woods. This will greatly affect how a camera will take the picture. I'm not sure it's false advertising, maybe best case scenario though.

- The tabs not pressing in 100% and sealant oozing out is honestly probably for the best. I can tell you from experience from retrofitting my own headlights that if you don't add more butyl rubber, there is a high likelyhood of them fogging up later on. The old sealant is almost impossible to remove, and adding more is the right thing to do but will increase that gap just a little.

· Registered
843 Posts
“any other suggestions on products to upgrade my lights”.

I took that as literal. I’ll leave it and let OP decide.
didn't read the last line of his post, that's my bad.

It'd be a shame to use LEDs in 05 stock headlights vs the 732 dollar lights he got. Hopefully they make it right.

· Well then...
1,122 Posts
Sorry for your bad experience. Mine were also reversed but that seems to be a common issue with the vendor they use for the harnesses. My clips look similar to yours as well, but they should be sealed just fine and I added some extra sealant to ensure moisture doesn’t build up.

It’s hard to judge just how bright these are via pictures. VS my OEM these are amazing. It’s like comparing a candle sticks to well, these cause they’re awesome. If you live in a city with bright lights the output isn’t as visible as it is out in the boonies.

FWIW, I love mine. The issue seems to be that these are hand and custom built products so there will be a lack of real consistency across the product line.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I'd definitely be pissed about them not aligning properly. I would send them back and let them fix it though, as this is really the only major problem you have.

- The high/low being crossed is unacceptable for the price, but it's easy enough to fix. It's understandable that they told you how to fix it rather than sending them back.

- The output picture from their website has the projectors aligned significantly differently than yours are. Your picture is in a city with other light sources present. Theirs is in the middle of the woods. This will greatly affect how a camera will take the picture. I'm not sure it's false advertising, maybe best case scenario though.

- The tabs not pressing in 100% and sealant oozing out is honestly probably for the best. I can tell you from experience from retrofitting my own headlights that if you don't add more butyl rubber, there is a high likelyhood of them fogging up later on. The old sealant is almost impossible to remove, and adding more is the right thing to do but will increase that gap just a little.

Hi there! I’m actually a she

For the high & low beams, they wanted me to switch these pins. I was hesitant to do it myself because they had sent me an adapter with the same pins and it literally broke when disconnecting them (They were so cheap, had to buy a replacement ). That's why I decided to pay someone to do it. Plus, I am new to this whole thing so when I bought these headlights I was sold under the impression that they were plug in play. Not to mention that if you modify them in at way they deny you your warranty etc.

For the light output those were the only pictures I took when driving back. I did go somewhere darker and nothing changed. ( I did keep the passenger headlight at the proper level too)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been rocking a brand called Katana, model 9007, since May 2019 and I highly recommend them. They’re a drop in replacement LED bulb. They adjusted perfectly and it’s a clear white light.
I will definitely take this into consideration. I wanted to get LEDs in the first place but Diode Dynamics didn't carry the bulb size for my xterra. Thank you!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for your bad experience. Mine were also reversed but that seems to be a common issue with the vendor they use for the harnesses. My clips look similar to yours as well, but they should be sealed just fine and I added some extra sealant to ensure moisture doesn’t build up.

It’s hard to judge just how bright these are via pictures. VS my OEM these are amazing. It’s like comparing a candle sticks to well, these cause they’re awesome. If you live in a city with bright lights the output isn’t as visible as it is out in the boonies.

FWIW, I love mine. The issue seems to be that these are hand and custom built products so there will be a lack of real consistency across the product line.
Glad you had a good experience from the start. I think that if it's a common issue for the wires to be reversed, they should state that in their product description. That would have changed my decision right from the start. The light output didn't change when I went to a more darker area (my high beams did work though 😆 ) Thanks for your input

· TNX Veteran
4,947 Posts
Oh wow! Glad I didn't risk that. My aftermarket used ones have a lot of the same issues (aimed weirdly, high beam sometimes doesn't turn on), and so I was considering purchasing from this "reputable" looking company. Seems like I would have not had much improvement

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.