Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody on here use one of those magnetic hide a key things? I bought my X used, and well I start modding it, so naturally I start with rims and tires, well I go to change out the rims/tires and when I get to the spare under the truck I noticed a hide a key box stuck to the rear right above where the spare tire sits. It is a pretty good spot for it out of site hard to get at but not impossible and very unlikely to just fall off since the spare tire is right against it. I haven't been locked out of the X yet haha but my DD a VW Jetta I have been locked out a couple of times because of the stupid auto locking feature which the X aswell has. I am likely to get locked out eventually DOH!!:violent1: well anyways my point is I now have a Maxterra bumper and no longer carry the spare under the X, anybody use these things or have suggestions as a Excellent place to put the Hide a key box so it hidden well and hard to get at?

·
Registered
595 Posts
All I can say is that I use a transponderless key hidden on the outside, and a full key hidden on the inside. I don't use the underside at all - I am just paranoid something will tear it off.

I have locked myself out once in the middle of nowhere - never again.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My spare key is hidden inside the Xterra, and I have the keypad up by the wetbox to unlock the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I wish I had one of the keypads, but they are pretty much impossible to find now and I don't think I would pay the gouged price for one if I were lucky enough to come across one. so that option is a no go.

·
on line
2,669 Posts
Funny cause I used to rock the hide-a-key thing and between worrying about it falling off while bouncing on the trails and someone seeing me return it to the stash spot I gave up on them. Also lost one once. The keypad is the best option but finding them and the cost is difficult to deal with. The safe thing was the next best option to me. Althoug next time I run fins and things in Moab we'll see if it holds up to proper abuse.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I've always thought about sandwiching a key under the rear bumper plastic trim, or one of the bumper step plates (they can be simply popped off). You could also hide an entire key box inside one of the bumper caps or even the front fender well behind the fogs. You'd have to tear your bumper apart to get to it (and you can do either one with simple tools), but it's better than being locked out.

I have a keypad which was bought used from Hoagie - it's worked so far but I'm sure it'll run out of juice one day, so I should have a backup for the backup.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've always thought about sandwiching a key under the rear bumper plastic trim, or one of the bumper step plates (they can be simply popped off). You could also hide an entire key box inside one of the bumper caps or even the front fender well behind the fogs. You'd have to tear your bumper apart to get to it (and you can do either one with simple tools), but it's better than being locked out.

I have a keypad which was bought used from Hoagie - it's worked so far but I'm sure it'll run out of juice one day, so I should have a backup for the backup.
I like that bumper step idea, I will look into it and see if its doable. these are the kind of ideas I am looking for. keep the ideas coming people Thanks:rockin:

285 Posts
I have always thought of buying some smoked truck clearance lights, something like below. Take one, spray the inside of the lens black, so nobody can see inside of it. Silicone a key inside of it, or some other method, so it does not move around. Mount it to the frame in a place where it does not look too out of place.

Then, when locked out, go find it, kick the lens to break it out, retrieve key.

Pic link: http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa226/tylus0/FX4/Cab Lights - Before Install/IMG_5686.jpg

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have always thought of buying some smoked truck clearance lights, something like below. Take one, spray the inside of the lens black, so nobody can see inside of it. Silicone a key inside of it, or some other method, so it does not move around. Mount it to the frame in a place where it does not look too out of place.

Then, when locked out, go find it, kick the lens to break it out, retrieve key.
interesting idea, but I rather not have people think I am trying to break into my own car, lol

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
I've never lost one of the magnetic hide-a-keys. In fact, none has ever moved from where it was placed. On one, the magnets actually rusted to the frame rail and became permanently affixed.

That being said, I now have a transponder-less key in a secret spot under my rig held in place by a wing nut on an existing bolt. Cheap and easy.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I have a spare key duct taped on top of my trailer hitch. No magnets or boxes to worry about.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I had a magnetic hide-a-key on my X for a few years and it was solid never even moved. In fact I never lost one in over 10 years of use on other vehicles. I had it hidden on the inside of the frame rail under the drivers side door, no one would ever see it. I have a key pad too but worry about the battery dieing as I have had it for over 3 years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts