Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is HF located? Meet point? Difficulty of routes planned?
Hidden Falls is near Marble Falls, Tx - Hidden Falls Adventure Park btw, the video on the front page is mine from our last trip there.

We usually camp at Area 51 or at Area B and the route difficulty depends on who shows and how wild they want to go. We are now planning on arriving early friday and camping friday and saturday night. We usually don't wheel on sunday as I have a 4 hour drive home afterwards.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If you haven't been out there in awhile, its changed quite a bit in some areas.
I hadn't been in ~2.5yrs, until last weekend. A couple areas that had gotten real bad have been smoother out into a 1 rating. We basically did the whole outer loop with ZERO issues. Some of them, the map rating doesn't match the sign on the trail. Its almost like the 2s became 4s, so they fixed them to 1s.

In the past, there was a long hill of stair steps along the fence line. Its sometimes called baby Back, but really its the connecting trail that leads to the Baby Back/Snoopy Falls intersection. It wasn't hard...especially down, just had to swerve and plan your angle on each drop. Its now just as smooth as the park roads, with one big climb at the bottom (easy way to the side if needed). Although, my 2in lift on 285s DID bottom out the engine skid plate and mark up the lower part of the OE bumper there, so might need to take it gingerly if you have anyone smaller. That was to the far right in this pic (bumper wouldn't clear to approach the middle).

Baby Back itself got so dug out that there's now a perfectly flat bypass/new trail. The dug out area is obviously from SxSs, and impossible to even try in a truck. A lot of North Pole is like that too.
This was a climb (the easiest part, other than the bypass) that a 4dr JL in our group made, but this TJ was hanging a front tire, so winched up.

I can't remember if it was on North Pole or North Peak (that top corner of the map, headed clockwise), but there were some pretty rutted up places that made me a little nervous about side angles and body damage... but weren't bad at all once in them. I did need the 4hi to get ABLS to get out of some of the crossed up sections, and was told the front tire was a couple feet in the air coming out of one of the grooves. As far as what we did on our MOSTLY perimeter drive, that was my favorite section.
It was this stretch of trail. Didn't drag anything, but challenging enough for a 2in spacer lift on 285s.

It was either Test Tube or U-Joint buster that I STARTED, but ended up bailing cause it looked a little rough on the skid plates/sliders (as it turned into Royal Gorge?). I didn't want to get too far in that I couldn't bail, so took the exit onto Park Rd2. It had a drop in that was ABRUPT and my bumper/spare tire cleared, but the lift shackles hit hard.

Oh, and it was bone dry everywhere except where that one pic above at the Snoopy/Baby/connector intersection and the trail leading to dino falls (Royal Gorge) (not flowing... just wet). Dino falls was bone dry.

Depending on your timing, or where others stay... there's a free Christmas light walk (donations welcome) at a park right on the lake visible from the 281 bridge.
We had non-campers with us, so we stayed there in town. The ladies enjoyed the hot tub more than a tent.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Maybe now?
It was a new album, apparently it wasn't set to public, which affects the hyperlinks too.

Hmmm... still not working. I'll mess with it and try copying new links after its public. I can't figure when this new forum format is uploading images or just linking to them.
I think everything should show now. The links are shorter now that I've copied them when logged out of my email.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts