Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to increase the output of my Off Road roof lights, instead of installing an LED light bar. I read several posts about swapping out the halogens for HIDs and figured that was probably the easiest and cleanest option. And boy howdy was it.

Parts came from TRS (theretrofitsource.com)
I used 50W ballasts and 4000K bulbs. I hate blue tinted light, which is what most LED bars are (6000K ish). 4000K is bright as heck and throws light SO FAR. It's a little ridiculous.

Anyway, I wanted to mount the ballasts and igniters somewhere out of the way, protected from direct weather, and that would make installing and removing the light panel a breeze. I've seen some folks attach everything to the inside of the wetbox which definitely gives more room to work with, but there's still the issue of the harnesses staying in the car when you remove the light panel. I wanted everything to come away as one unit.

So I used some 3M double sided tape and taped everything to the support bar under the panel, and then added some zip ties for extra assurance. Now there's only the factory plug to disconnect when I remove the panel and everything comes out together.

Unfortunately I didn't get pictures of just the OR lights. I'm a dummy and wasn't thinking when I took all my before pictures.

I also swapped out my factory headlights for HID retrofits between the before and after pics. So... there's also that. But I still think you can get a good idea of the difference in the OR lights.

Factory low beams + factory OR bulbs

HID low beams + HID OR bulbs

I know it's not the best comparison, but it's all I have sadly!

But yeah, this absolutely kicks the lumens out of the 42" light bar I had on my 1st gen.
So if you have the OR lights already, I highly recommend installing HID bulbs.

·
Pro4X CA Rambler
32 Posts
Very nice.I recently installed LED bulbs in my factory light untis. Nice and bright but glaring, not well focused. I see your's are very well focused so no angry flashing from oncoming motorists. Did you replace headlamp units or just bulbs?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice.I recently installed LED bulbs in my factory light untis. Nice and bright but glaring, not well focused. I see your's are very well focused so no angry flashing from oncoming motorists. Did you replace headlamp units or just bulbs?
I only replaced the bulbs in the off road lights. But I did projectors in the headlights! I actually just made a post about them too!

D2S Panamera Projector Retrofits - PIC HEAVY

1 - 3 of 3 Posts