Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Thats's pretty much identical to the one I have... just with different stickers/company.
Going on 2 years now and not a single problem as of yet.
Def one of the best things/mod I've done. The light output is amazing
compared to the halogens.
I believe I paid in the area of ~$120 shipped from ebay.

·
on line
37 Posts
when you get them. can you post some pictures of how they look and perform. Also what kelvin rating are you buying?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well Nice find/post but my eyes are hurting already, I drive like 90% at Night and I have to look at too bright of lights all night long. Imagine, they used to drive by candle lights, the Oil lamps we blinding people and then someone invented a 6V bulb! Then on to 12V then Halogen, now this? Next step is to harness the reflection of the sun from the other side of the moon and beam it out amplified. Are they legal? MC

·
on line
844 Posts
MC I know you hate them man, but they do look cool and they don't blind people if you aim them down enough. if you don't aim them down then they're obnoxious and you need a beating because you can easily cause an accident.

·
on line
189 Posts
yea dis things are so bright

hurts mi eyes when i drive at night time

but hey at least u can see...hehe

i got a question about these HIDS
when they say this
4300K - Super White (OEM color)
6000K - Pure White (Hyper White)
8000K - Hyper White with Slight Blue
10000K - Violet/Purple

i am guessing the higher the number the brighter they are right?
or it doesnt matter

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Jang Pilmo said:

when they say this
10000K - Violet/Purple

or it doesnt matter
Actually the 4300K / 6000K will be the brightest. The higher the numbers the farther away from "true white" they are going to be. If you've seen people driving around with purple HID's then that would be the 10000K lights.

·
on line
72 Posts
aaaahhhhh!

I have to say I love a good set of HID Offroad Lights but FREAKIN HATE when people put HID lights in their headlight area. STOP USING HID LIGHTS FOR NORMAL DRIVING LIGHTS YOU ARE BLINDING PEOPLE. ok i feel better now :)

If you want to add HID lights please wire them into your high beams only.

Thank you drive thru.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
The directions for my Hellas said to be legal they had to be wired into the hi beam only. They supplied a real nice wire harness to do so and diagram on how. If they are not legal it bugs me. I think 55W is max legal. Off road, anything goes! MC

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MagEditor said:
STOP USING HID LIGHTS FOR NORMAL DRIVING LIGHTS YOU ARE BLINDING PEOPLE. ok i feel better now :)
Lol, I log in and read this right after I clicked "Buy It Now" over at e-bay!

Either way, I'll make sure they're aimed properly.

·
on line
189 Posts
JAdams said:
Jang Pilmo said:

when they say this
10000K - Violet/Purple

or it doesnt matter
Actually the 4300K / 6000K will be the brightest. The higher the numbers the farther away from "true white" they are going to be. If you've seen people driving around with purple HID's then that would be the 10000K lights.
ah ic
so lower the number the whiter they are so more Birghter..

Thankss for the Infoo

·
on line
1,638 Posts
I'm using the 6000K. IMO this is the best color. 4300 are white but have
the slightest yellowish tint to them. 8000 is way too blue.
6000 is white with the slightest tint of violet/blue. Most of the time can't
even see the color.

·
on line
237 Posts
Kal_El said:
Not the same thing.
No, and I understand that. My point was that "whiter" doesn't always equal brighter.

His site has some other interesting things to say on the topic...particularly about the govt and potential legislation.

Cheers,

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If memory serves me correctly, you can buy newer BMWs with the 6000Ks.

·
on line
196 Posts
The idea behind HID's was to produce light close to that of daylight. The problem occurs when the reflection of the HID light through the halogen housing makes the light cut off different than what it was intended. The newer HID kits rebase the hid bulbs for the halogen housing. The cheap kits I would worry about. Here is some info http://www.aa1car.com/library/hid_headlamps.htm from the link:

WHAT ARE HID HEADLAMPS?

Like the name implies, high intensity discharge lighting creates a very bright light that is ideal for night time driving. Though the color of the light is often perceived as having a bluish tint when viewed at night, most of the light that is produced by HID headlamps is actually very close in color to natural noontime sunlight -- though some of the light produced is also in the blue and ultraviolet spectrum. Halogen headlamps, by comparison, are more yellowish in appearance but are brighter and whiter than older incandescent style headlamps.

The near-white light produced by HID headlamps improves visibility and makes it easier to see distant objects.

The color of light can be measured in "degrees Kelvin," which refers to the "temperature" (shade) of light. Natural sunlight at noon is 4870 degrees K. Light produced by a HID xenon bulb is 4100 degrees K. Light from a standard halogen bulb is 3200 degrees K, and that from an ordinary incandescent bulb is 2800 degrees K. The lower the temperature rating, the more yellowish the light appears.

Blue-white light is better for visual perception, but yellow light is actually somewhat better for reducing glare in fog, rain and snow (that's why fog lights are yellow).

The xenon bulbs that are used in HID lighting systems also produce three times the light output of standard halogen headlamps (3000 lumens versus 1000 lumens), and require less energy (35 to 42 watts versus 55 watts). This is possible because HID lighting systems work like a vapor-filled street light or metal halide lamp. HID bulbs typically produce 71 lumens of light per watt compared to 18 lumens of light per watt for standard halogen bulbs.

DON'T CONFUSE HID BULBS WITH BLUE-TINTED HALOGEN BULBS

In recent years, halogen bulbs have also been upgraded to produce better lighting performance. Xenon gas has been added to the gas mixture inside some halogen bulbs to improve light output, and the bulbs have been given a blue tinted coating so the light produced by the bulb will have a similar appearance to HID headlamps. These special halogen bulbs are a good upgrade for replacing conventional halogen bulbs, but they are still halogen bulbs with a standard filament that operate at 12 volts DC. These are not high intensity discharge bulbs and do not produce the same intense bluish-white light that true HID headlamps produce. Nor do they provide the extended life or reduced current requirements of true HID headlamps.

Blue tinted halogen bulbs also do not change the beam pattern of the headlamps. True xenon HID headlamps, by comparison, typically provide significantly better foreground and side lighting because the headlamp reflectors and lens are optimized for this type of lighting.

There are also aftermarket HID headlamp conversion kits that can be installed to replace standard headlamps. Such kits include the required igniters, ballasts and HID xenon bulbs. But some of these kits are not approved for highway use and are for off-road use only.

Hope this helps. I used 12000k HID's before I knew better and now use 4300k. If used and aimed properly they work, stay within the 4300k to 6000k range and make sure you adjust your beam pattern:

This is ideal:

HID vs Halogen Beam:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts