Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the topic has been spoken of before but i'm wondering if anyone has tried an HID Conversion Kit? If so which ones. I was looking at http://www.visionbulbs.com/vb_produ...k you for any input guys (and the few ladies)

·
on line
844 Posts
I have an HID conversion kit, and it's too bright... I have to find a way to aim it down more, then it'll be ok, but the sotck reflective housing isn't designed for an HID light. there has been a retrofit done, but I've been told it was a real son of a bitch to complete.

·
on line
163 Posts
HIDs are designed to be used with projector style headlights. Without changing the headlights or putting a projector into our headlights, no HID system will ever illuminate the right areas without illuminated the wrong.

I hope that makes sence.

Basically you need to find a projector style headlight to replace to modify our existing headlights. The stock Xterra headlights are reflector style headlights.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies.I understood the whole projector and reflective housing problem.Is there a semi simple fix to aiming them properly?

·
on line
844 Posts
probably not. they are rediculously brighter than stock, but unsafe cuz they might be blinding people in shorter cars. I dunno

·
on line
196 Posts
B REAL said:
I know the topic has been spoken of before but i'm wondering if anyone has tried an HID Conversion Kit? If so which ones. I was looking at http://www.visionbulbs.com/vb_produ...k you for any input guys (and the few ladies)
B REAL. I have the HID conversion done. I do have pics and vids if you click on my profile and go to my cardomain, follow the vid clip link to my dropshots, I have a video in there of my HID's powering up. Currently I have 12000k which look nice, but I just recently purchased 4300k bulbs and will post after I put them in.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kal... where did u mount the ballasts? I was thinkin somewhere on the inner fender.

The only other thing is the warrenty issue...should doing this mod void any part of the warrenty?

·
on line
196 Posts
B REAL said:
Kal... where did u mount the ballasts? I was thinkin somewhere on the inner fender.

The only other thing is the warrenty issue...should doing this mod void any part of the warrenty?
Hey B. I mounted everything right there on the inner fender, on the driver's side it is in between the fender and my intake box and the passenger side is in between the fender and the battery. It gets tight in there. The kit from the website you are looking at is basically the same thing, but instead of those brackets I used 3m adhesive, worked fine for me that way there is no drilling. Warranty shouldn't be an issue. The HID kits are plug and play you are not modding anything. If something happened you could always disconnect everything and have halogens again. The kit should come with instructions, you will lose your brights, but for me it was worth it.

I love my HID's, they are awesome. The only thing for me was I was uneducated on them when I purchased. I had the same misconception that many do that the higher the kelvin the brighter which is incorrect. That is why I am going from 12000k to 4300k, should be here this week, I will post a vid of the lights powering up, its the coolest $hit ever.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the helpful information.I was out lookin where to mount them tonight.It looks like it would be a tight squeeze.The 3m adhesive sounds like a better idea then drilling.

I did some research on them.I know all bout the Kelvin.I was thinkin bout goin wit the 6000k just for alittle tint in color.Waitin for those pics/vids

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for this pics dragon...Looks great.Seems to light up the neighborhood.What Kelvin are those?
Most likely will be my next investment. My only problem is livin in NY there are both extremes in temperature so i'm worried bout using 3m adhesive instead of bolting them on.I would hate for the tape to give out cause of the temperature and ruin my wiring for the lights.
But thanks again guys for the pics and all the advice on this topic.

·
on line
54 Posts
12000K is not very bright....roughly arond the dtock head lights.. just a different color....

4300K would be the brighest..
5000K and 6000K would have the best combination of color and brightness... when you get the 4300K bulbs... would you post a pic of the beam patern onto the street and not a garage door....... id like to see what the dispirtion onthe stock reflector is like.....

·
on line
54 Posts
Spicoli said:
HIDs are designed to be used with projector style headlights."

that not necessarily true.... you can have a HID system with the reflector housing... you just need to use a D2R bulb rather than a D2S bulb..... the "plug and play kits" you find on the net are are rebased D2S bulbs, which have crazy light dispertion when put in a reflector.. A rebased D2R would be better but still not a good as a retro fit w/ a projector housing with a D2S bulb....

·
on line
844 Posts
I have 6000k, my buddy has 8000k in his (much bluer and cooler looking), we both got the same kit off ebay (I've used half a dozen from this same guy and they all work great) it's about 150 bucks.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I have seen the kits for $220 not $150!

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dragonplayboy said:
I have 6000k, my buddy has 8000k in his (much bluer and cooler looking), we both got the same kit off ebay (I've used half a dozen from this same guy and they all work great) it's about 150 bucks.
If u can find the page on ebay, i'd love to see a link. I got a discount for the page i listen in the original post. It brings down the price to $220 shipped to my door. Thought that was a decent deal

Also is it a waste to get the hi/lo beam hid conversion? I don't think there's really a need other then the flash flash get the hell outta my way hi beam. Just soliciting opions here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts