Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i lifted my xterra with my new hi-lift jack and it says to flip the lever to the down position to lower the truck. the lever seems to not have a down position because the spring doesnt let the pins to disengage. i looked on youtube for demonsrations but it doesnt show enough detail. maybe am a idiot or maybe it is defective?
any help would be golden cause i cant leave my shop.

thanks,

dan

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Matrix, have you used a Hi-Lift before ??

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
Read Only
656 Posts
First, raise the handle and lock it w/ the spring clip to the steel bar (always do this when changing direction). Flip the reversing lever down. Sometimes it needs a little "encouragement", ala a light tap with BFH. Once it reverses, unlock the handle from the bar. Stand where your head is clear from the handle and start jacking. The load will lower with each up stroke, but you have to give it a full down stroke before raising it. These things have potential to take your head off, so maintain control of the handle, jack it slowly, and keep your head, face, jaws away from the handle. Once the load is removed, the jack head will slide down the bar when the handle is raised. You might want to lower it down almost to no load, and reverse the procedure, raise it a bit, then try again flipping the lever to reverse. It can be rather tight, but if you mess around with it, you'll get the hang of it. The handle is handy, too, as a cheater pipe, or to "encourage" the lever. Have to pull the cotter pin out to get it loose.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
:ky: lube is always good :3some: :thumbleft:

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: And that MC, is the reason I asked, if he had used one before--

---I've had to semi-drench mine, with WD-40 a No. of times , for it to work correctly--

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have never used one before and it seems like such an easy concept.

so the lever locks in two different places? right now the lever is down allowing the hi lift to jack up, when i pull the lever up, nothing happens to let the hi lift jack down. it keeps jacking up.

thanks for the help

dan

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Man, just like Bux says, the lever HAS to be down, then you HAVE TO FIRST (with the lever down) PUSH THE HI-liFT arm DOWN TO FREE THE LOCKING PINS, then down for each subsequent DROP in heighth--

--Same operation as in the jacking mode, just keep a good grip on the handle, they have been known to just jump-up and slap the shit outa you-if your hand slips-be careful--

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, ill give it a shot. maybe a little hammer action will do the trick.

thanks again

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks again people, the hammer worked. its still a b1tch though to put it back in the "jack up" position.

dan

·
on line
13,466 Posts
There is a killer video by......i cant remember the guys name. But its called "Getting Unstuck." Muzikman may know the name of the dude. But its a kick a** dvd. I watched USMC'S copy and it shows you how to use the hi lift in various ways, as well as the normal jack up the car way. It covers winching, all kinds of stuff. Im actually going to look for it myself and buy my own copy.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Mark,

You are talking about Bill Burke I assume. I have never seen any of his videos, but the guy has been a guide and trainer for years. I always thought it would be cool to go on one of his runs.

I think it was Syndicate (which where has he been?) who actually did a run or a class with Bill, so he's got first hand knowledge.

Using a hi-lift can be tricky and dangerous some times. I think everyone who has one should use it multiple times in their nice level driveway to get a hang of it, before needing it on the trail.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts