Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all! I'm brand new here and just picked up my first Xterra. It's a 2006 4x4 with......a manual! Currently has 167000 miles on it but came with 3 pages of maintenance records. My last few and current car have all been Japanese sports cars. Previously a 2016 Scion FRS, currently driving a 2022 Toyota GR86. While I'm super into doing track days and hitting the canyons, I do also enjoy some adventuring, (I learned how to drive in a 1991 Jeep XJ - in the dirt of course). As a very avid mountain biker, I decided it was time to get an extra vehicle. Just something to throw the bikes in and go on adventures. Here is what I ended up with.

Mirror Car Vehicle Gear shift Radio
Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Automotive side marker light

Sky Tire Cloud Wheel Vehicle

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Grille

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Seat belt
Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Vehicle Car Speedometer Odometer Trip computer

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some of the recent maintenance:
  • New downstream O2 sensors @ 167,200
  • New brake fluid @ 166,854
  • Oil and filter changed @ 166,476
  • Oil and filter changed @ 164,166
  • New battery @ 163,575
  • Oil and filter changed @ 162,000
  • New A/C compressor, drier and expansion valve @ 159,400
  • 4 new tires (Cooper Discoverer) and all 4 new TPMS @ 158,604
  • Oil and filter changed @ 155,172
  • Oil cooler O-Ring replaced + oil and filter change @ 149,126
  • Transmission fluid, air filter and oil and filter change @ 141,213
  • Oil and filter change @ 133,064
  • All new springs, shocks and struts (Bilstein) @ 126,248
  • New clutch (heavy duty Centerforce clutch kit designed for off-roading and towing) @ 126,150

- 113,000 mi replaced timing chain tensioners, secondary timing chains and guides. Also at this time pro-actively replaced intake plenum, alternator, P/S pump, A/C compressor, new upper and lower radiator hoses, new drive belt and belt tensioner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! Impressive maintenance list; did they also replace the radiator?
(I like your GR86 too!)
I'll check the list when I get home today. I am aware of the SMOD issue. Does that only happen on automatics? I'm not 100% certain. Also, are there other cooling problems to look out for? This is my first Nissan.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I'll check the list when I get home today. I am aware of the SMOD issue. Does that only happen on automatics? I'm not 100% certain. Also, are there other cooling problems to look out for? This is my first Nissan.
SMOD only affects autos - you have nothing to worry about there.

Xterra's cooling systems are pretty robust but the mechanical fan clutches have been known to fail fairly commonly, but that's not a Nissan specific problem. Toyota's, Dodge's, GM....they all go out eventually. When they fail, usually the fan gets pretty loud and in some cases you'll have cooling issues while driving. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns out that I do in fact still have the factory radiator. Just did a 40 mile shake down drive in 109 degree weather and the temp needle stayed pretty low.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,442 Posts
Nice!!! Rig is in fantastic shape. And someone added a bonus rear view mirror.

FYI, you can add factory fogs very very easily. Wires already waiting in the bumper. It adds quite a bit of light output to the lame azz headlights.

Reactions: Blipblorp

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice!!! Rig is in fantastic shape. And someone added a bonus rear view mirror.

FYI, you can add factory fogs very very easily. Wires already waiting in the bumper. It adds quite a bit of light output to the lame azz headlights.
Awesome info! I'm definitely looking to add some extra lighting in the future.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,442 Posts
Several places available to get the parts needed, but this is a decent price and includes the odd hardware to mount in the bumper:

Reactions: Blipblorp

·
Registered
83 Posts
My understanding is also that SMOD only occurs in automatics. But 16 years in Arizona can be a little much for radiators, which is why I asked.

Looks like a good rig; Congratulations!

·
Registered
2013 Pro4x 6spd
74 Posts
Looks like they may have put skids on there as well.. I'm not sure of the model though. I think only the offroad model came with the factory skid plates on the gas tank and transfer case, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like they may have put skids on there as well.. I'm not sure of the model though. I think only the offroad model came with the factory skid plates on the gas tank and transfer case, I could be wrong.
Good catch! Yes, you are correct. I'm not even sure what trim it is? It's either an S or an SE??? But yes, the previous owner had the factory skids from the higher trim installed. The paperwork says engine, transmission, gas tank and front axle. For some of them such as the transmission and front axle it says they were "doubled up". Not sure what they are implying, buts it's supposed to be 113 today and I don't want to crawl under it to check!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Good catch! Yes, you are correct. I'm not even sure what trim it is? It's either an S or an SE??? But yes, the previous owner had the factory skids from the higher trim installed. The paperwork says engine, transmission, gas tank and front axle. For some of them such as the transmission and front axle it says they were "doubled up". Not sure what they are implying, buts it's supposed to be 113 today and I don't want to crawl under it to check!
Doubled up likely just means they installed 2 OEM skids layered up. It's somewhat common to do that, especially for cheap bastards like myself. It's my understanding that all Xterra's came with a radiator skid - both S's that I've owned had them, but who knows if someone added them. Off Roads and Pro4x's came with engine skids, but I think that's it. Transmission and fuel tank skids are most likely aftermarket, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doubled up likely just means they installed 2 OEM skids layered up. It's somewhat common to do that, especially for cheap bastards like myself. It's my understanding that all Xterra's came with a radiator skid - both S's that I've owned had them, but who knows if someone added them. Off Roads and Pro4x's came with engine skids, but I think that's it. Transmission and fuel tank skids are most likely aftermarket, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Awesome! It's only been 1 day and I've already learned a bunch from everyone here!

I was just too curious, I did crawl under it and like you said, there are two plates layered together.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2013 S and she came with the Radiator Skid. I added 2 Engine Skids, Transfer Case Skid. When I was looking there were few Gas Tank skids, one on ebay way $275. With the off-roading I do the doubled up stock skids are plenty. Off Road and Pro 4X models came with Radiator, engine, transfer case and fuel tank skids.

·
Registered
828 Posts
That is a beautiful looking X in great shape for the age and miles. The maintenance list is super impressive. If I may ask:

How much did you pay for this 'extra vehicle'?

P.S. FWIW, I use a Yakima rack to carry the canvas covered canoe and the mountain bike that performs shuttle service.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is a beautiful looking X in great shape for the age and miles. The maintenance list is super impressive. If I may ask:

How much did you pay for this 'extra vehicle'?

P.S. FWIW, I use a Yakima rack to carry the canvas covered canoe and the mountain bike that performs shuttle service.
I paid $7500 USD. It was more than I was initially looking to spend, but the maintenance history and the 6 speed made it worth it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts