Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jason,

when you took off your roof rack, did you have any problems with water leaking into the cabin? the reason why i ask, i have this nasty mildew smell and so i ripped apart the entire rear interior (carpet, plastic, seats, etc.) and there was puddles everywhere. the insulating carpet was completely soaked and so i vacuumed it dry and "bungy corded" the carpet up. it dried nicely and used carpet cleaner to get the smell out.

well, this morning i went to work and noticed another puddle in the middle of the rear interior and so i believe that the rain is draining from the top of the roof rack into the truck via the screws on the rack. any ideas?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, I am having no problems, but the holes are well plugged currently with electrical putty or silicon. Most of the holes would be hard to leak as the rivnuts actually stick above the roof line a little bit. There are however 4 holes that are flush with the roof. They are in the front, right before the transition in the roof.

My guess, unless you left all the holes in the roof open (27 of them i think) even if they were leaking, I don't think you would get enough water in there to puddle up. I would also think you would see water spots in the roof linner.

I would look at door and window seals. Also, there is a drain hole in the floor for the rear compartment.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i'm with muzikman...

you would have seen stains of drips from the headliner if the roof was leaking, puddle probably came from another source.

there was one case (if i remember correctly) of the tailgate leaking pretty severly, definitely check all doors and window for leaks.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the quick reply guys. i found the source and of course it's my fault. well, i blame my friend also. haha. when i put the kc's on the safari rack, i grounded the lights behind the hatch. directly above that i ran the power and fed the wire behind the hatch seal (gasket). i figured that it wasnt going to leak, so i put everything back together.

so the quick fix was to cut the wire, feed it though the rubber grommet where the third-brake light wires are, fish the wire though the body, and splice it back together.

you learn from your mistakes, right!? at least i can get a how-to out of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts