Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had the issue before. When driving down a flat road, in 2wd or 4wd O/D on or off, the truck will be cruising around 30-70mph and will all of the sudden feel as if it ran out of gas or misfired just for a split second and then recover back to normal. Sometimes it will do it two times in a row. It has done it a total of 8 or 9 times in the last 6 weeks or so.

The temperatures have been colder it seems when I do notice this. The engine has been both cold and hot. Trans fluid is in great shape as is the level. (I did a PMF last summer)

At first I thought it was downshifting but it seems that it's just misfiring now that I have observed it more closely. Things like this are hard to troubleshoot because I cannot replicate it. The bat. voltage gauge seems to be steady when it jerks/stalls so I don't think it is a bat. cable. I also have no check engine, VDC off, or SLIP lights flashing.

Now that I have felt it more I really don't think this is a trans issue.

Has anyone ever seen this?

Truck is a 2009 S model with 70k miles on the clock. 265/75 e-rated duratrac's.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Maybe a sensor that keeps the timing?
Not nearly a mechanic here, but my father in law was recently experiencing something similar and it was diagnosed as the Crank Position Sensor.

I know that this is pretty solid with our X (especially your low mileage one), just a thought that came to mind.

·
on line
2,263 Posts
Has this happened at idle at a stop too? I agree with Kizzyle. symptoms are similar when my crank sensor was failing.

Do the 09 have the IPDM issue?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The issue does not happen when stopped or at idle.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I have seen crank sensors go bad on other vehicles however when it goes bad the vehicle does not start at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been trying to figure out the same thing. Mine sounds more like a thud when around the 70 mph level. I have also been noticing this more often since it's been colder.

'08 SE, 140 thousand on the meter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
'09 S 85k Miles Here

I'm getting the same issue but ONLY when road conditions are slippery (possibly once on dry pavement).

OD/Traction Control/4WD don't seem to change anything and again it's primarily after a snowstorm.

Replaced Transmission Fluid, Transfer Case Fluid and both Diffs Fluids hoping that it would help but issue didn't change a bit.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I think your wheel hub bearing assemblies may be the culprit. I was experiencing the same a couple of months ago then got the news that one wheel hub bearing assembly was bad, got it replaced and it hasn't happened since. I also noticed that my sensors were acting up, and all was due to the wheel hub bearing assy

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
54 Posts
I get a similar thing every once in a while. The only common denominator that I can think of has been damp/wet conditions. I'm thinking mine are moisture in the air intake issues. Are yours happening just in cold conditions?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Well it was happening only when cold and snowing, I checked the MAF and it was good, clean and the tube was clean too, no signs of humidity. So, either that was the culprit or the wheel assembly, I dont know but after replacement of the wheel assembly it had not done it again...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bringing this back from the grave.

I am having the same exact problem the original author had with my 2015 Pro-4X (~12,000mi) in slippery conditions. It feels as if it randomly misses... or the rear locks up all of a sudden. I can't tell if it's engine or transmission/rear. I just so happened to test it under the same conditions as the OP (OD on / OD off, 4x4 / 2w) and it only happens when it's wet / slippery.

My first guess was that something in the rear was engaging due to sensed slippage. However, it happens even when going relatively slow compared to other cars on the highway.. which makes me think something is wrong... or the other cars are extremely lucky to not be slipping as well. This happened probably 10 times in a 1hr timespan.

Any recommendations? Truck shows no issues when dry. Drove from Kansas City to Denver straight through with no issue. This happened once it started sleeting in Denver.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
It's most likely the vdc (or whatever they call it on the 15's). Push the button below the dash with the vehicle that has squiggly track marks to disable. My guess is the symptom you are feeling goes away.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's most likely the vdc (or whatever they call it on the 15's). Push the button below the dash with the vehicle that has squiggly track marks to disable. My guess is the symptom you are feeling goes away.

I was actually thinking that... but was a bit nervous to attempt it driving on the highway under snow(ish) conditions.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Your tires, are they the rugged trails or the hankook dynapro atm's. If they are the rugged trails, that's likely why you are noticing it so much. They are crap tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead X2.

2011 Pro 4 X 6sp.

My truck definitely is having an issue with rain/snow and hesitation.

Recently, we had a very windy snow storm here in CT, and the grill of the truck was directly in line with it.

My truck hesitated quite a few times, and when I stopped to get some gas, popped the hood and snow was packed in pretty good on the radiator.

No codes or lights came up, and once the truck was nice and warmed up, the issue was gone, and have not seen it in three days.

This has been a consistent issue with the truck, when it snows or rains heavily, it hesitates.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
It's not an issue I've ever experienced or have read about before.
Seems like out of the ordinary circumstances with the weather and your radiator getting packed with snow, which can't be good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's not an issue I've ever experienced or have read about before.
Seems like out of the ordinary circumstances with the weather and your radiator getting packed with snow, which can't be good.
Yikes, not to be rude, but this thread is about the truck hesitating in wet/slippery conditions.

And again, like I said, literally, in the comment you responded to, it's been a consistent issue with my truck, every.single.time it rains and snows heavily, the truck hesitates.

If you're gonna comment, please read through the comments and fully take it in and understand what's going on.

Not trying to be rude, but... come on.

I am at least the third owner in this thread to say "snow/cold/slippery road = hesitating truck"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts