Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few times when either in wet or snowy conditions the back tires break loose and spin/slip the "slip" light comes on and the engine hesitates of about 5 seconds with no throttle response.
The thing that bothers me is that this usually happens when you turn and freaks you out when the gas pedal is to the floor the X does not move with no life and you have traffic coming straight at you.
So wondering if this is all normal and part of the VDC. Is there something to tweak or is it something that you live with as part of the safety feature of the VDC?

I can seem to find anything similar in searching so if this has been discussed before just point me in the correct direction and tell me I'm an idiot. :tard:

·
on line
515 Posts
A few times when either in wet or snowy conditions the back tires break loose and spin/slip the "slip" light comes on and the engine hesitates of about 5 seconds with no throttle response.
The thing that bothers me is that this usually happens when you turn and freaks you out when the gas pedal is to the floor the X does not move with no life and you have traffic coming straight at you.
So wondering if this is all normal and part of the VDC. Is there something to tweak or is it something that you live with as part of the safety feature of the VDC?

I can seem to find anything similar in searching so if this has been discussed before just point me in the correct direction and tell me I'm an idiot. :tard:
Your not getting traction anyway so the drive by wire system cuts power. This is necessary as not to overtax the ABS traction control system. Shut it off and you still won't get traction, you'll just wear down your spinning tire.

If you have that much slip that it is causing you to end up in dangerous situations, I'd recommend putting it in 4H or learning to feather your use of the loud pedal. Better tires will also reduce the times that the traction control needs to work.

IMHO. YMMV. :drink:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yea that is pretty much normal operation and everything is operating as expected.
Not to sound like a jerk but the best way to solve your situation is to brake early, turn slowly, and accelerate moderately when you are on slippery roads like that. Will avoid the 'traffic coming straight at you' point that you mentioned.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
While the 4HI point is valid, guys, there's no way that I'd put my truck in 4HI if the roads are slippery, and there is less than an inch of snow on the road. It's just too taxing on the drivetrain.

That said, we don't know the exact conditions the OP was in. Save him the parable. He just wanted to know if this was normal or not.

·
Registered
107 Posts
While the 4HI point is valid, guys, there's no way that I'd put my truck in 4HI if the roads are slippery, and there is less than an inch of snow on the road. It's just too taxing on the drivetrain.

That said, we don't know the exact conditions the OP was in. Save him the parable. He just wanted to know if this was normal or not.

You wouldn't? That is the whole point of 4H. there is absolutely no difference between driving in 4H on a dirt road or on a slippery paved road. SPEED is your only issue in 4H or 4L for that matter.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
You wouldn't? That is the whole point of 4H. there is absolutely no difference between driving in 4H on a dirt road or on a slippery paved road. SPEED is your only issue in 4H or 4L for that matter.
No, I wouldn't. Because if all 4 of your tires are maintaining traction all the time, then you're stressing the hell out of your drivetrain. Our front front diffs are like ticking time bombs.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
i would think that if there is VDC, its irresponsible for a car company to not have a way to turn it off. a lot of passneger cars require you to turn it off if you put the compact spare on as the different diameter tires would throw the system off. it would also be essential to be able to disable it if you had to rock the vehicle to get out of a ditch or snowbank.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
i would think that if there is VDC, its irresponsible for a car company to not have a way to turn it off. a lot of passneger cars require you to turn it off if you put the compact spare on as the different diameter tires would throw the system off. it would also be essential to be able to disable it if you had to rock the vehicle to get out of a ditch or snowbank.
It was super cold out the other day, and I couldn't even back out of my driveway, since the tires were spinning. The VDC would take over, limit the throttle, and since it was cold out, my X would actually stall out. I had to turn the VDC off just to leave my driveway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies and not flaming me. It's mostly when I am on an incline trying to get into traffic.
Have Duratracs and they are 100% better that the Coopers I had as have not had to do 4H or 4L at all so far this year. :icon_smile:

Again that's for the honest non flaming replies and giving your inputs and experience. :wave:

·
on line
2,362 Posts
As mentioned, it is the VDC (electronic stability control) kicking in. Generally a good thing. That little tire spin can quickly turn into a vehicle spin, which case you are now sitting sideways in front of traffic. It's one thing to turn it off and play around, another when you are not expecting it. For the most part it is best to leave it on and only turn it off on an as needed basis and turn it back on again when done.

If you are driving in snow, go ahead and use 4HI. Although the better solution is to adjust your driving pattern to match road conditions (don't pull out in front of traffic). If you can't get traction to accelerate, they probably don't have traction to stop. Too many times big pile ups are from big groups of cars all going too fast, since the car in front of them is going fast they should be able to go just as fast.

The last thing you want to do is turn VDC off, pull out in traffic and loop it, then have a dozen cars all pile into you. When the police finish the report with a dozen drivers all stating that this Xterra pulled out into traffic and spun out in front of them, who is going to get the blame and who is going to have insurance issues later?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I notice the OP stated he has a 2005, the same as me. I do not have a VDC off/on choice. Mine is on all of the time. I suspect the switch came out after the 2005 model year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts