Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NO more roof waxing... woohoo!!

After cutting some bolts on my roof basket with the sawzall several months back I noticed the flecks of hot metal burned thru the paint and have left little rust spots all over the place.
Knowing this wouldn't fly as warranty claim because of the concentration of the spots... and just because I'm a generally honest person I didn't attempt to have nissan cover it.
Also along the top of the hatch had gotten pretty beat up from loading the kayaks and left the paint scratched to h#ll.
I pulled the basket,
masked everything off,
sanded,
applied rust inhibitor,
primed,
rollled on herculiner,
pulled off tape and voila!!!

The white stuff on the edges is tape residue that i still have to take off after the herc. cures.

And with the basket back on!!

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, rolled it on... it's about 85 degrees out and being on the roof I think let smooth out a bit.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Very nice man!
That's a great idea, especially for me with how often I'm climbing around on the roof.

·
on line
82 Posts
That looks great. That is such a good idea! The stuff is after all a truck bed liner. I just hope the sun there in the south doesn't melt the stuff away.

What rust inhibitor did you use?

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bruzer said:
That looks great. That is such a good idea! The stuff is after all a truck bed liner. I just hope the sun there in the south doesn't melt the stuff away.

What rust inhibitor did you use?
No melting happening... it's pretty much polyurethane so once it cures it's hard as nails!

I used a product called Rust Converter by Klean Strip. It's like a zinc coating that you can apply right over rust and will convert/prevent rust and is also an effective primer. Comes in a small (about 8oz.) bottle... i think you can get it at wally-world, if not, probably hardware or auto store.

·
on line
551 Posts
That is one smart use for the stuff: especially if you're constantly loading stuff up there. Great Job! :headbang:

·
on line
1,618 Posts
I've often longed to have a vehicle covered in Durabak, top to bottom. No worrying about scratches or dings, it would be really quiet, and I could pressure wash it then shine it up with Mop'n'Glow. That would be the life. Just have a hard time thinking about doing that to a brand new vehicle. Hat's off to ya! Very practical mod. Well done.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Looks puss, nice job. Maybe hit the hood now so those lights going on the rack don't show too much glare.. Got more pics of rack btw?

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DBAX said:
Looks puss, nice job. Maybe hit the hood now so those lights going on the rack don't show too much glare.. Got more pics of rack btw?
lights will get up there eventually. Here's a link for the roof basket build http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=711&highlight=roof+basket

Thanks for all the compliments... another reason i found to do this is after my last road trip and having the cargo sack up there a loose strap had pretty much buffed it's way down to the factory primer... gotta love that Nissan paint!

·
on line
57 Posts
Pretty cool! Just be forewarned that Herculiner fades badly. I believe there is a UV inhibitor that prevents it. Another idea is a quick hit with some black spray paint to keep it looking black.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts