Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Username: HerbC

Make: Nissan
Year: 2006
Model: Xterra
Trim: OR
Color: Red Brawn

Trans: 6 Spd MT

Comments: Well I pulled the trigger on Saturday and picked up my Xterra. I really haven't had time to go over it well, but I already failed VA State Inspection over the brakes and tires, so I HAD to order some tires. You know, just to pass inspection. :icon_smile: It came from Philly, so I'm hoping the rust isn't too bad.

I got a big stack of service records including a replaced radiator in 2012 and more importantly a new rear axle in 2010. Hoping that means I got the better locker.

Too many other things happening to even work on the truck now but I wanted to say I got it.

MODS

Exterior:
Mud flap delete
Melt Mod
Custom Sliders
Custom Skid Plates
BTF Dif cover

Suspension/Tires/Wheels:
Cooper STT's 285/75/16
Stock OR Wheels
Nisstec Ultimate Radflo with Deaver 10 Leaf pack

PHOTOS

Here it is sitting next to the wife's 2012 S after an 11 hour driving day to pick it up.

New Shoes

Finally made it out on the trail. Still stock except for tires.

With sliders

And With Skids
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Um, yeah, just a couple add ons. :) I'll get there. I need to sell the Jeep first.

21SF - The wife loves to go wheeling but she just won't let me take her x out. Something about all those payments. But driving hers around the last couple years really made me want one.

Its going to have some big shoes to fill replacing the TJ but it will fun to learn to wheel a different vehicle. Just have to remember the roof won't flex when I rub a tree anymore.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New shoes are on. It's great to be able to install taller tires than I have on my Jeep without even lifting it. Just barely touched the inner fender at random times so I pulled out the heat gun and did the melt mod just to be done with it.

I had to replace the rotors and brake caliper bracket on the front to pass inspection. The caliper bracket had rusted so bad that I couldn't install the new pads on the driver's side. I'm originally from the mountains of Pennsylvania and I've never seen brake parts rusted like this that weren't sitting in a junkyard. :scratch:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Just curious.. don't Off Road models come with the off road roof lights? Yours doesn't have them.. did you swap them out?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats... looks like it could be mines long lost brother! LOL

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perpetual - I'll be in the Jeep at Oak Ridge. Won't have time to build skids and sliders by then. I've been on those trails so many times I would probably go into auto pilot and try to pivot around a rock on the sliders that aren't there. And we figure its the best place to slap a for sale sign on it and maybe find it a new home.

As for the tires, I've been running them since 2007 on the Jeep and have yet to see another tire that works as good as they do. They're as quite as a good A/T on the street and great on the rocks. I am interested to see how the E rated tires will flex compared to the C rated ones I've been running. I run them at 15psi and the sidewalls will almost pinch to the rim. We shall see.

As for the lights, asked and answered but they are the reason my wife has an SE instead of an Pro-4X. Neither of us like them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You've already seen it once and you'll see it again. Just a different set.

Here's how they handled it the first time when I didn't have low gears or a locker. Needed warmed up. Oh and the concrete wasn't at the bottom either.

Click on it and it should take you to the video.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I knew what you meant. Just thought you might want to see me struggling with CJ5 back in the day. I believe you made it look easier than that with all your fancy traction control and stuff.

I really would like to take the X this year but there's no sense in teraring it up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I finally made it out on the trail and I think I know which direction I'm heading with the build now. I was happy with how it worked although I will have to get used to the IFS. I only have about 30% of the travel of my Jeep up front and it acts a little different than the solid axle. Just part of the new adventure. Felt similar to the Jeep with the swaybar connected really. Just had to hit the easy button more than I'm used to. To be fair the Jeep axle is LSD when it's not locked so I rarely used the locker.

Since I have the 3.69 gears I think I'll stick with the R180 and lock it for the added strength. I didn't get into too much crawling yet to be sure but it's still almost the same crawl ratio as my Jeep and it's taken me everywhere I wanted to go. If I decide I want 4.10's I'll swap the 205 in and use Pathy shafts to keep it narrower.

Looking to go with a 2-2.5" lift. Thinking Nisstec Ultimate with some OME Dakar springs in the rear. Don't need much. I like my rigs lower for stability and well armored underneath to clear the big stuff. I'm sitting at 1-1/2" less than my TJ belly skid now with no lift so I should be fine with a couple inches.

Some wheel spacers to widen the stance just a hair. I don't like the full width TS look but I do want the tire to hit things before the fender. Hoping that doesn't cause too much issue with clearance but I don't have a problem cutting and welding. Probably getting a bed liner stripe on the bottom soon anyway.

Armor and bumpers are a must. I prefer to fab my own so for less than a set of skids I bought a new plasma cutter. I built an expedition trailer with a chop saw, metal blade on a circular saw and a bandsaw but it was mostly thinner sheet metal. Time to get serious. Need to get the skids and sliders first then the bumper can come when I have more time.

Oh yeah, all the Jeep guys came to stand under my hatch while we ate lunch in the rain.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure exactly where I'm going with the bumpers yet. I have some ideas but nothing solid. In the front I really like the style of the plastic bumper. Maybe just make something a little less bulky in front of the tire.

I really want to find a way to make a full rear wrap around bumper. I haven't torn the old one off yet but from experience with other vehicles there's got to be a way to tie it back to the frame or something to take out the flex.

First priority is getting sliders and skids on it before my Black Mt. trip in September.

Did this on the easy trail. And that was making a conscious effort not to hit the sliders that are not there.

Lift is ordered. Got the Nisstec Ultimate Radflow kit with OME rear springs (on back order of course). At least I can install everything but the leaf pack and just lower it down in the front for now.

Now if that Jeep would just sell so I can free up some more cash.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Oh wow, you got on ordering the lift quick! Btw, ran the numbers quick and I think with the 2.5" lift you'll be within about a degree of the breakover angle of the TJ. The worst part is waiting for the lift once you've ordered, hope it goes by quick!

I got a couple rocker panel bumps like that, while waiting for my sliders to arrive! In fact I'm pretty sure I got one at W4H last year with you as the trail guide... Do you have sliders on order? Planning on custom sliders too?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It should be close to a stock jeep. I had 2.5" of lift and a high clearance skid plate so I'll be at about the same height to the center skid but a little word on the break over. Its all flat under there with skids so it should slide nicely.

Had the lift planned for a while but I wanted to wheel it first to be sure what I had. I'll probably set it about 1.5 to 2 inches. The OME springs for the rear are only 1.5 inch. Ordered from Nisstec yesterday and they emailed today to verify if I wanted to wait or go to a different spring then shipped eveything but the leaf packs. No way I was dealing with PRG.

Yeah I'm doing the skids, sliders, bumpers all myself. I need to put in a new service panel in the garage and run a new circuit for the plasma cutter before I can do the skids but at least I have some factory skid type things protect a little bit until then.

You must have picked up those dings while I wasn't spotting. :D

You get yours back together yet?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts