Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Firestone air bags just showed up on my front doorstep and I'm ready to dig in this afternoon. Right now I've got Helwig 550's on the rear of the spring pack. Should I leave the helper springs in place along with the bags? Should I move the helpers in front of the axle? Should I sell or trade the Helwigs? Should I dress up like a giant chicken and ride a unicycle through town? Thoughts, concerns, comments?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
That giant chicken thing...

Seriously though, I would yank the hellwigs- you shouldn't need them once the air bags are on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you use the helwigs for axle wrap then keep them.The airbags wont correct axle wrap.If the helwigs are adjustable put them on the lowest setting so the lift factor of the helwigs don't conflict with the airbags making the suspension tooooo stiff.Hope this helps.On another note putting the helwigs on the front of the axle does control axle wrap better than to the rear.Most probably you will need to move the helwigs forward due to the airbags install location

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
X2- the helper springs help with a load while the airbags will improve ride , handling and capacity all the time. Just add more PSI for towing or a full load.
I keep mine at 15-18 psi everyday, 20 psi carrying 4 people with some stuff and go up to 35-50 psi with hitch basket/bike rack and full load of people and gear

That giant chicken thing...

Seriously though, I would yank the hellwigs- you shouldn't need them once the air bags are on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts