Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Have you verified you have pressure at the VVT solenoid?

Alternatively, it could be that the access cover and seal are OK, and the sprocket/cam is wobbly, which would cause the same issue
If you think you have a wobbly sprocket (broken or incorrectly installed) you need to correct it. Why not take off your access cover and inspect it?

Could the sprocket be locked up? Are you supposed to be able to turn it by hand?
The sprocket's advanced timing is locked until advance oil pressure is applied, so it acts like a solid gear until positive oil pressure applied by the VVT solenoid. You can't turn it by hand, it's connected to the timing chain / rest of the engine

I have tried putting a standard o-ring on that nipple,
If you removed the original flat disk and placed an O-ring on it you made the same mistake as me and need new disks found only on new access covers as far as I know

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I removed the access cover and verified that the sprocket is turning properly. No wobble.

Some of the RTV was incorrectly applied the last time the cover was installed, so I cleaned it all up and reinstalled.

The trouble code took a lot longer to come on. Instead of coming on during the first trip, it would be activated at high speeds. An improvement, but not a solution.

I swapped the flat discs from one cover to another and the code stayed the same: bank 2 over-advanced. The cam phaser is still making noise.

I believe I found the right disc seal, however: part 13042-3HD0A on Z1motorsports.com. The Pathfinder is not listed, but the site says that this is the seal for the cam phaser cover on VQ35DE and other engines. I ordered one and will update you with my result.

Hopefully I dont need to swap out the $500 phaser. I ran the engine with the cover off and had oil coming out of the passage, but I'm not sure how much oil exactly is supposed to flow. I recently replaced the solenoid with an aftermarket part due to P1145. The old solenoid was locking up and no P1145 since installing the new solenoid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you verified you have pressure at the VVT solenoid?

If you think you have a wobbly sprocket (broken or incorrectly installed) you need to correct it. Why not take off your access cover and inspect it?

The sprocket's advanced timing is locked until advance oil pressure is applied, so it acts like a solid gear until positive oil pressure applied by the VVT solenoid. You can't turn it by hand, it's connected to the timing chain / rest of the engine

If you removed the original flat disk and placed an O-ring on it you made the same mistake as me and need new disks found only on new access covers as far as I know

Good Luck!
I had a similar issue, and had brought the disc into my dealer. We matched up some discs and found that part 13042-3HDOA was pretty much identical. They did let me know that this part was for a 4 cylinder and couldn't guarantee anything. Gonna throw it on tomorrow and see how it goes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
That left side port has an o-ring between the cover plate and rear plate. did you also replace that? Also further in that port is a port in the cam bracket that you have to seal around. Plugging up that port was my initial thought concerning oil pressure. When you seal both sides and install you have to tilt it in to avoid smearing the sealant. I have a felpro kit waiting an install and now Im thinking twice.
Did you replace that sprocket you torqued? wondering if it could be somehow jamming those vanes from moving although it all looks pretty thick to have done that.

This is a really astute observation.... Im in the middle of troubleshooting a P0021 on a 2006 X right now 12MAR21...... I performed the timing job and accidentally removing the Bank 2 Cam Phaser :/ .... I put it back together however I used Moly lube to grease it and hold a few of the pins in place to get everything to stay together I ook it all back apart to clean the moly out and check my work... When I started her up all was well except a P0021... I thought I may y have overdone the RTV and clogged a oil passage from the VVT valve to the cam phaser.... So far all the oil ports are clear however upon inspecting the cam phaser I did find that the front plate to the cam phase nwas not centered correctly.. Perhaps I never centered it or it was pulled off center when torqueing. I have many questions regarding how the cam phaser is assembled etc... however there is NO info in the interweb... Strange.... I read somewhere that nissan is very secretive about their precious cam phaser... I will post pics of it all....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar issue, and had brought the disc into my dealer. We matched up some discs and found that part 13042-3HDOA was pretty much identical. They did let me know that this part was for a 4 cylinder and couldn't guarantee anything. Gonna throw it on tomorrow and see how it goes!

Dude what happened? I guess it worked out and you never followed up?

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
979 Posts
This is a really astute observation.... Im in the middle of troubleshooting a P0021 on a 2006 X right now 12MAR21...... I performed the timing job and accidentally removing the Bank 2 Cam Phaser :/ .... I put it back together however I used Moly lube to grease it and hold a few of the pins in place to get everything to stay together I ook it all back apart to clean the moly out and check my work... When I started her up all was well except a P0021... I thought I may y have overdone the RTV and clogged a oil passage from the VVT valve to the cam phaser.... So far all the oil ports are clear however upon inspecting the cam phaser I did find that the front plate to the cam phase nwas not centered correctly.. Perhaps I never centered it or it was pulled off center when torqueing. I have many questions regarding how the cam phaser is assembled etc... however there is NO info in the interweb... Strange.... I read somewhere that nissan is very secretive about their precious cam phaser... I will post pics of it all....
I've not taken one apart, but worst case they can be bought aftermarket if you are worried it didnt go back together correctly.
There sounds like potential for timing issues due to being a bit advanced or oil pressure low due to the cover offcentered and by extension the seal inside the cam sprocket not sealing well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

I just performed a rebuild of a VQ35DE on my 2002 Pathfinder. I have had a nagging P0021 since.

When putting together my replacement parts list I realized that, as stated here, the o-rings for the access covers were not available. I am glad to hear that replacing your cover took care of your P0011. I am now considering doing the same.

However, also since the rebuild I have had some noise and vibration coming from the bank 2 sprockets once the car warms up. This has me concerned. I don't want to have to remove the front cover and replace all the timing components if I don't know for sure what the problem is. Could the sprocket be locked up? Are you supposed to be able to turn it by hand?

The access cover on bank 2 has some score marks at the bottom of the nipple where the oil comes out toward the sprocket. I wonder if the seal has failed and 1. is allowing the sprocket to hit the access cover, 2. preventing sufficient oil pressure from reaching the sprocket. I have tried putting a standard o-ring on that nipple, but P0021 persists. Alternatively, it could be that the access cover and seal are OK, and the sprocket/cam is wobbly, which would cause the same issue.

Finally, I stripped some of the rear timing cover bolt holes upon installation and have a small oil leak between the bank 2 head and rear cover, just under the exhaust sprocket. Otherwise, the car runs great. What a bummer!

I suppose I should try to plug the leak with some external RTV and replace the access cover before going all-out and removing entire front and rear timing covers.
Did you ever fix the problem? I'm experiencing same code and symptoms after timing chain work. Right now I'm waiting for a camshaft timing cover I ordered.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got the same issue after doing my headgasket. I'm going to pull the timing cover off and see if its off by a tooth. Either of you figure it out?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts