Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I am getting ready to put new tires on the X...and I want to look into doing a lift also...so my question is...

What inexpensive lifts are there out there? What are my options?

I'm not sure what some of the abbreviations are when people start throwing around some of the terms when it comes to the lifts and all of the compenents...I'm not that mechanically challenged, just never done a lift before. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
on line
57 Posts
Depends on how hard you feel like wheeling. If you drive city more than wheel you may just look at a spacer and shakle lift. Depends on your budget also. Most people here will tell you to call Greg at PRG. Ive never dealt with him but everyone loves him so...

·
on line
2,573 Posts
Check out the thread above with regards to the lift options that are available for your trucks.

When you find one that think meets your needs do a quick search for that lift. You will find Tons of info and if you still can't find the answers post it up.
The inexpensive ones tend to be Spacer lifts, Rancho Quick Fit and front lift coils.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Great link, but keep in mind that SLR is now out of business.

I know that you can get spacers and shackles fairly cheap.

However, let me say this. The Xterra is a very nimble creature in a stock config. {aside from the "rugged" trail tires}.

Drive the thing as is for a while. Make use of the money you have into it already. Why expend money now when not necessary?

Also most folks that have gone this route eventually "upgrade" to "better" suspension components in the near future.

Consider armor instead. And/or recovery gear. You'll need/want these later anyway. A hi-lift jack is not cheap.

As for abbreviations (why isn't there an abbreviation for this word?) what in particular are you wondering about?

And yeah, call Greg anyway. You'll be surprised what you learn about your X, whether you spend $2k for components or not. :geek:

·
on line
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TXterra37 said:
XterraDude said:
I don't know why everyone doesn't look at this link, it is sooooo helpfull
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2223
One step ahead of me! Go w/ PRG, you will not be disappointed nor regret it!
i looked at that thread...thank you very much...just looking for a little bit more of the definitions of what all that means...it's good info though...thank you for everyone that posted on there

·
on line
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well what are the "radflows" i think i keep seeking...and TC UCA's?

and thanks XKNUT, that is another thing i am considering...is just saving up for a little while longer and doing something big...i'm just not sure cause i have to use my rig for my daily driver and with the huge X payment and House payment...i can't afford to get into trouble and break something off road of serious magnitude, and spend the money and then be without a vehicle. so that's also another reason i am just thinking of going with something simple for a couple of inches. i like the look of a truck or SUV with a little lift on it.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
go to www.prgproducts.com you will find alot of good stuff there. Radflo's are a type of coilover that replace your exiting struts up front. They will lift the front end between 1-3" but have to be used in unison with the new UCA's upper control arms which I would get from PRG since he dosen't sell the Total Chaos ones anymore.

·
on line
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so what's the difference of buying the
1) top gun leveling kit (spacers) and the deavers as compaired to buying the
2)The PRG Mini Lift Kit which includes the PRG front lift spacers plus a rear block kit? I know the website says if i do the 3" i have to buy upper control arms, how much are those since they aren't on that site, and if i just do the two inch what's the diference between the two?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Okay... first, how much do you want to spend? If you dont mind spending around 1200 bucks... then The full PRG experience is the way to go. Personally, for your first lift I think you should go with a spacer shackle combo.

There is no difference in the way the truck is lifted when you compare the top guns spacer to the PRG spacers. there is a quality difference but nothing you should really worry about. Price is what you should be looking at. As for the rear... you need either a shackle or an AAL (add a leaf). Shackle is easier to do, and probably chaper. But you want an AAL if you are going to be doing any towing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts