Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I can't seem to find this here and XOC is down. When do you need to use the shim? Is it with the AAL on the rear or the shackle?

Thanks in advance.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
The shim is to allow the pinion angle to stay within spec. It tips the front of the diff (where the drive shaft yoke is) up to keep the driveshaft inline. it takes 2-3º shims to do this.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks guys. I've been looking at lift packages from AC so I confused why its not incuded in their deluxe package but thats something I can ask them I guess.

For those that got this lift, are the rancho rs9000 shocks longer than the factory bilsteins?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
hattrik21 said:
OK thanks guys. I've been looking at lift packages from AC so I confused why its not incuded in their deluxe package but thats something I can ask them I guess.

For those that got this lift, are the rancho rs9000 shocks longer than the factory bilsteins?
I don't know why AC doesn't sell them with the kit now. I know when I got their AAL they tried the blame the vibration problem on Nissan. I sold the AC leafs and bought the Calmini which had the shims and they work fine with no vibration...though they squeek like no body's business.

As for the Rancho's I think it's been determained that they are the same lenght overall, but that the tubes are different lengths.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
The rears are longer the front struts are the same "size" as factory.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm leaning towards the deluxe kit with the Ranchos I think so I'll need to add the shims as well. Thanks everyone. Now I guess I should ask off for the week after xmas so I can get it put on as soon as I get it.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,484 Posts
hattrik21 said:
I'm leaning towards the deluxe kit with the Ranchos I think so I'll need to add the shims as well. Thanks everyone. Now I guess I should ask off for the week after xmas so I can get it put on as soon as I get it.
If you line up someone to put the front springs on the shock struts, It will only take 1 day. You can have the front struts off in an hour. MC
 

·
on line
Joined
·
80 Posts
In my experience, the 2 deg shims that AC sells aren't enough. You need at least 3 deg. I wasted my money on the AC shims, and went out a week later and replaced them with 3deg ones. I still have some vibration, but not as bad.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
USMC XTERRA said:
hattrik21 said:
I'm leaning towards the deluxe kit with the Ranchos I think so I'll need to add the shims as well. Thanks everyone. Now I guess I should ask off for the week after xmas so I can get it put on as soon as I get it.
If you line up someone to put the front springs on the shock struts, It will only take 1 day. You can have the front struts off in an hour. MC
So get the springs mounted at a shop before I start and then just worry about taking the factory ones off and then put the new ones on? Hmmm thats an idea.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Walrus said:
In my experience, the 2 deg shims that AC sells aren't enough. You need at least 3 deg. I wasted my money on the AC shims, and went out a week later and replaced them with 3deg ones. I still have some vibration, but not as bad.
Where did you get the shims from?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
641 Posts
hattrik21 said:
Walrus said:
In my experience, the 2 deg shims that AC sells aren't enough. You need at least 3 deg. I wasted my money on the AC shims, and went out a week later and replaced them with 3deg ones. I still have some vibration, but not as bad.
Where did you get the shims from?
Here are a couple of places where you can get the shims:

http://jackit.com/store/supercart.cgi?s=skj_ws&I2.x=7&I2.y=9

https://catalog.foothilloffroad.com...sid=096bd1ef30ae6e80ba2ffe4cb00dc7e3&x=5&y=11'

You should get the 2.5" ones
 

·
on line
Joined
·
114 Posts
do we have 3/8" or 5/16" leaf spring center pins? is the factory pin long enough to accomodate a 2 or 3 degree shim?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top