Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in old apt in the city, so i have to park my car on the street.

Couple weeks ago, someone busted my aft PAX windows.
I was so mad, was about to kill somebody.

Anyway, they stole my 20+ years old sleep bag. My 10+ years old rain jacket and a sheet.

I have the factory tan in the aft window, so it was already hard to see in, plus my rain jacket is black.....

Anyway i usually have the back seat all the way down, and i usually keep stuff behind the front PAX seat.

Is there a good way to hide some in the X? I would like to keep a sleeping bad in my car, and maybe a rain jacket ago.... but not sure where i can hide them anymore

Also since i no longer have a parking spot... and need to park on the street...
I no long feel safe to start my car to warm up while leave it running in the morning.

Any suggestion on remote starter that will keep the car lock while running to warm it up???

thanks

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Well, you can stash some small things under the rear passenger bench if you fold the seats back up (either inside the jack compartment, or laid out flat, i.e. a rain jacket). Many thin storage boxes will also fit there - some people have even squeezed in entire high-lifts. You might be able to get a sleeping bag in there if you fold it creatively. Otherwise, if you need those seats down, you can definitely jam things between them and the floor behind the front seats.

There's the compartment under the cargo area as well. Not to mention you could install a locking handle on the roof box. Or, build a drawer unit that's only accessible if the hatch is open, if you don't mind losing some of that space back there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I like the drawer unit idea alot, but you do lose some functionality. I bet if you unrolled your sleeping bag you could fold/compress it into the cargo area hatch. Otherwise, not too many great interior hiding places for the items you're talking about, IMO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I had a pickup with a topper, I got 2 poles that were the length of the topper. My wife made a piece of fabric that was the length of the topper and put hems on the sides that the poles slipped into. This covered the whole bed so that the riff-raff didn't know if it was full or empty.

285 Posts
Odd idea...

Devise up some way to store stuff on the ceiling. Stretch cargo net? Some sort of drop down, interior colored, shelf/panel? I would think that most thieves would not notice stuff attached to the ceiling, especially concealed by a panel that is interior colored? :dontknow:

·
on line
2,044 Posts
sorry for your loss.. sounds like someone that was homeless and needed a blanket..... I installed a window film that takes a lot of time and strength to break through.... might want to consider installing that kind of window film on all the windows

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
All remote starters keep the car locked while it is running.

·
on line
3,331 Posts
The only problem with hiding stuff is that it will still get stolen if its found. If someone knows they got something out of your X and you park in roughly the same area I bet they'd be back and may break in regardless of if something is visible, thinking they may score again. I would recommend a lock box bolted in the back of the X.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
My neighbor is a detective and keeps gear in his car all the time - really expensive and dangerous stuff, like body armor and a department issued SBR.

He has a steel jobsite storage box in the back of his SUV. Something like this:

Look around for one where the feet line up with the tie down rails in the cargo area and bolt it right to the rails. Your typical thief won't be able to remove it and won't bother trying to break into it. Thieves are looking for an easy score, you don't have to be 100% secure, just secure enough to make it not worth the trouble or too risky to try to rip you off. They will move on to an easier mark.

Another option is to not leave stuff in your ride. When my parents were traveling in Europe and were in Roma territory (car burglaries were very common), they just removed everything from the car and even left the glovebox open to show there was nothing to steal. My dad cut the top off a tissue box and fitted it over the stereo with a tissue hanging out to disguise the radio. Their car was always the one left undamaged, even when every other car on the block was burglarized.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
I wouldn't live where I have to worry about someone breaking in to steal a sleeping bag out of my car. Where I live the cars stay unlocked with the keys in it a lot!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Sounds like you need a much better car alarm with glass break detection.

Petty crime is everywhere and getting worse. Even in really good neighborhoods - either the criminals travel looking for easy pickings or kids with nothing better to do.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the all the great reply, I live in a nice area but just close to downtown and close to everything that is walking distance. Also with bus line running a block from my house. So people could come from anywhere via bus and leave with the bus.

Stealing my stuff is not a big deal, as everything that gotten stolen is might be less than $20 the more. But it is PIA to get the window replace and remember what little things that was stolen.

I even have a $20 bill in my glove box, that I use as emergency money.... but he/she did not even touch that lol.

I would like to know more about window film??
also suggestion on a good alarm for window too?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You forget you are in TX where people have CCW. Not everyone is so lucky. Armed property owners around tend to deter criminals. I'm in an area where I dont think people would target sleeping bags but they do steal GPS's and such that are visible especially if door is unlocked.

I wouldn't live where I have to worry about someone breaking in to steal a sleeping bag out of my car. Where I live the cars stay unlocked with the keys in it a lot!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Too bad a drawer system makes the under floor storage useless.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Couple of myths in this thread. One is that property crimes are increasing. All crime has been in steady decline for years. This includes CCW and non CCW states. That's the other myth.
http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21582004-crime-plunging-rich-world-keep-it-down-governments-should-focus-prevention-not

As to CCW as a property crime deterrent, a single new study argues it reduces gun murders, but the vast body of evidence argues orherwise.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/feb/16/national-rifle-association/wayne-lapierre-said-violent-crime-jurisdictions-re/
The opinions are largely immaterial anyway, aren't they? You wouldn't really kill someone for stealing your sleeping bag, would you?

Unfortunately, your theft sounds like a crime of opportunity -- a cold guy met a sleeping bag. Keep stuff out of sight, even just on the floor, and that won't be happen. Burglars aren't using flashlights to peer into cars.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Couple of myths in this thread. One is that property crimes are increasing. All crime has been in steady decline for years. This includes CCW and non CCW states. That's the other myth.
http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21582004-crime-plunging-rich-world-keep-it-down-governments-should-focus-prevention-not

As to CCW as a property crime deterrent, a single new study argues it reduces gun murders, but the vast body of evidence argues orherwise.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/feb/16/national-rifle-association/wayne-lapierre-said-violent-crime-jurisdictions-re/
The opinions are largely immaterial anyway, aren't they? You wouldn't really kill someone for stealing your sleeping bag, would you?

Unfortunately, your theft sounds like a crime of opportunity -- a cold guy met a sleeping bag. Keep stuff out of sight, even just on the floor, and that won't be happen. Burglars aren't using flashlights to peer into cars.
Well i'm pretty sure they peep in my truck before they try to break in, it was at night. Plus i have the factory tanned window. And all my stuff was inside "Kroger" bag, look just like trash...... They must spend sometime to look inside before breaking the window.

Really how much can i hide under my seat? A sleep bag, a rain jacket maybe?
What if i need a set of changing clothes? I cant hide everything under the seat!!.

That is why i ask if there is other suggestion on where i could hide stuff.....

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Well i'm pretty sure they peep in my truck before they try to break in, it was at night. Plus i have the factory tanned window. And all my stuff was inside "Kroger" bag, look just like trash...... They must spend sometime to look inside before breaking the window.

Really how much can i hide under my seat? A sleep bag, a rain jacket maybe?
What if i need a set of changing clothes? I cant hide everything under the seat!!.

That is why i ask if there is other suggestion on where i could hide stuff.....
Get a Southco locking handle for the wet box and put stuff up there.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 31 Posts