Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a brake pad change this weekend, I extended one of the caliper pistons too far :withstupid: and it leaked a little fluid (perhaps a tablespoon or so). It doesn't seem to continue leaking (also, braking is solid; pedal feels softish but consistent and seems fine). I'm concerned that I've broken a seal and that it's a potential hazard going forward.

Can any of you comment on the risks and fix options?

Also, I haven't changed brake pads in a while and they are making a sort of scraping sound. It seems the new pads are wearing a larger path on the old rotors, but I'm hoping someone on here can confirm this is reasonable and normal.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
if your brakes are scraping, then take your wheels off and check them. if you havent replaced the pads in a while, they could be all the way worn down to the metal, which would give it a scraping sound.

as for the leaky caliper, if it stopped leaking, and everything is working normal, then I would just leave it. if you damaged it and it needs to be replaced, then you probably will just have to replace the caliper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help Blackout. I think my post was a little confusing: the NEW pads are scraping after changing them - sounds very similar to the reason I changed the old pads.

I took a look at the rotor and it appears the new pads are rubbing a slightly larger area off the rotor, but wanted to confirm that others have experienced this too. Just don't want to ignore something more serious if there' s a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr_Scott

I installed the front passenger side and then wanted to test it, but forgot that I hadn't finished the driver's side. So, when I pumped the brake pedal, it pushed the brake pads together, without the rotor in between. The piston from the caliper was extended far past its typical range because of this.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Dang. Ok well now you know;) Did you get a look at the seals when it shot out? Notice any damage? Did the piston go back in ok, or did you have to fight it? If it's not leaking now I'd say you are ok. As for the funky pad contact, you prob sucked air into the caliper. Bleed, bleed, bleed. Get some heat into them then bleed it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I quickly return the caliper to its original position (read: panicked) and didn't check the seals. The piston returned with pressure similar or less than I used to swap out pads.

Bleed, bleed, bleed. Get some heat into them then bleed it again.
Will do. Thanks again for the help.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
You could have done some damage to the seals but the only way to know is to do a tear down. Check the rotors for and leaking fluid as well as the caliper itself. If you notice anything then just replace the caliper. As far as wearing a larger pattern into the rotor that shouldn't be happening. Did you turn the rotor or replace them? Are you sure that you have them installed correctly? Did you install the antichatter brackets and apply the correct hi-temp grease to them before installing the pads on the calipers?

Since you did manage to pop out the piston all the way out you have introduced air into the system and may have contaiminated the fluid as well. The calipers are the lowest part of the brake system and is where water and rust accumulates. Any time you push the piston back into the caliper you are supposed to open the bleeder valve on the caliper so that the fluid will go out the caliper and get pushed back up into the system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glucola,

Thanks for the help. I'm going to do a brake fluid flush according to Link and also rub a ton of that lube on the backs of the pads and the pad hardware and see if that fixes everything. Thanks again, your help is really appreciated.

Chris

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
i'm guessing the noise you are hearing are the break pads wearing into the old rotors. if you didn't get your rotors turned so they have a new flat surface on them, they may have ruts and high or lower spots that the new break pads have to contour to them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely did not turn the rotors, so that would make sense. I looked at the rotors and some of the unworn part is becoming worn, so perhaps it's just the noise from that.

I still plan on flushing the brakes to make sure there's no issues down the line, but think the rubbing is just the pads wearing a new path.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts