Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a neophyte (if I even spelled that right) when it comes to suspension stuff. I recently (~3 months ago) added Shrock w/ a winch for my front bumper.

Tonight when I was driving through the grocery store parking lot I hit a little dip in the lot where a drainage ditch was, and a loud clunk came from the driver's side front of my X.

I chalked it up to a coincidence. However, when I pulled in to my neighborhood, there is a slight incline on the main entrance. I took the hill semi aggressively and reproduced the same clunk sound.

Where/how do I begin checking?

As a note, its a 2012 PRO-4X with 28k miles, so I still have warranty. But before I take it in, and hear about how I added all the weight on the front and that voids the warranty, I'd like to have a diagnostic on my own, and be somewhat intelligent.

Thanks for any help.

DDD

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Search coil bucket contact or CBC for short
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks - found a couple of decent threads on CBC, as well as sway bar bushings and end links, and even oil skid plate. I'll check all of those in the morning, and see what we have.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't appear that I have any marks indicating CBC. However, upon inspection one of the 4 bolts securing my sway bar was hand loose. In addition, the 3 bolts securing the driver side of the Shrock bumper were able to be tighten a little. I wasn't able to hear the clunk after tightening all this stuff up, but we'll see how it does this week.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok - so after tightening the sway bar bolts - still getting the noise. It almost sounds like something is sliding and then hitting.

I've done a search for CBC, but couldn't find anything with pictures as a reference (sorry I'm a noob for suspension stuff). I don't see anything that is loose or appears to have marks on it from impact.

All my skid plates appear to be tight, and the winch is in place. I even removed my shackles to rule out the slap.

Can someone give me a better explanation of CBC (laymans terms)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok - so after tightening the sway bar bolts - still getting the noise. It almost sounds like something is sliding and then hitting.

I've done a search for CBC, but couldn't find anything with pictures as a reference (sorry I'm a noob for suspension stuff). I don't see anything that is loose or appears to have marks on it from impact.

All my skid plates appear to be tight, and the winch is in place. I even removed my shackles to rule out the slap.

Can someone give me a better explanation of CBC (laymans terms)?

Thanks in advance.
CBC won't happen if you're stock, only if you're lifted. Jack the front up, and if the UCA comes real close to the coil bucket, there's a good chance it's contacting when it unloads over bumps.

Check your control arm bolts to make sure they're good and tight. Also checking every other bolt down there couldn't hurt either, but mine clunked when one of my LCA bolts wasn't snugged down fully.

·
Registered
601 Posts
even though you tightened your sway bar bushing bolts it still could be the culprit, did you check the bushings themselves? if the bushings are split open when bolted down they might be hitting the ShrockWorks support bracket causing the clunk, I have the same issue and will be addressing it tommrow actually, I have moog poly bushings coming in tommorow that have the opening on the side vs. the middle.

here is the thread on the sway bushings http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9799shings

take a look at the bushings as they are on the car and see if they are split open.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at the bushings last night, they have a slit (looks like the normal slit) towards the upper back of the bushing. At least from the tire side of the bushing they look ok.

However, bushings are cheap and easy, so I might just order a set to see if that fixes it.

·
on line
7,141 Posts
your sway bar links are suspect

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bushings replaced on Thursday. Driven about 150 miles, and no more clunk. Crossing my fingers that the $15 and 30 minutes was the easy fix for a change.

I checked the sway bar links for play while I was changing fluids this morning, and they appeared to be intact.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts