Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have 65k on my 265 falken wildpeaks and they need replacing. I was thinking of stepping up to a 285 this time. I have rancho quick lift setup 1.75 lift up front and 1.5" in rear. Im currently deciding between bfg ko2, goodyear duratrac, falken's again, or nitto terra or ridge grappler. I drive the hell out of this x. Alot of highway. I tow a 16ft boat at times. Goes in the woods from time to time getting to fishing spots. 70% daily driving. 30% mild off road. Im looking for a semi aggressive looking tire with a nice looking sidewall. I would like to keep road noise to a minimum. Something good in snow and rain is a priority. Dont really care about sand or mud that much. So is it worth me upgrading to the 285 or just stick with 265/75/16? And what tire out of those choices?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
as ar as size.. its really up to you, nothing says you need 285's... Im rolling on 265/75 wildpeaks and will probably go with these again, though i might go to 285's just cause.. well BIGGER TIRES!! but the 265's have done everything ive asked of them.. which honestly isnt alot compared to some folks here, but more than ALOT of regular people will put them through.

I do like the looks of the nitto ridge grapplers but cant comment on whether they are louder than the wildpeaks or not.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am running 265/75/R16 KO2s and couldn't be happier. They have done everything that I need and are (in my opinion) quiet on the highway. As for traction they are phenomenal in any depth snow as well as rock or dirt. They are a bit on the high side as far as price so for that reason alone I may try a different brand when it comes time to replace them. And for size this would be my only regret, with a two inch lift in the front and a three in the rear I feel they look a bit small, I also wouldn't mind the extra ground clearance the slightly larger size provides. Overall I can't say that functionally size matters with this small of a difference so it is all just your opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I was feeling the bfg until i read mixed reviews and the price.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just put Ridge Graplers on my ‘07, 265/70R17. They look great and as far as road noise you have to listen for it. You can’t hear it with radio on. Time will tell as far as longevity and performance. I have a PRG advanced lift set to about 2 1/2”. Will post a pic later.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I have 285/75/16 KO2’s and also couldn’t be happier. They look fantastic, they ride great on the road with very little noise, even in heavy rain and light snow they have been terrific. Can’t say much about off road since everything I have done with them off road has been mild. They are more expensive, but I waited for a special so I could save a little coin. If you don’t mind spending a little more I think these tires offer tremendous value for excellent looks and on-road performance, and mild off road performance as well.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
You didn't mention your model. I have an S model, and I haven't gone to 285's because I think the 3:11 gears with that tall a tire would be annoyingly lethargic as a daily driver. X, S, SE all have 3:11 gears. If you have a Manual trans or a Pro4X/off road, then you will be better off. - They have 3:36, 3:56, and 3:69 depending on exact package, going from memory.

The other consideration is the 285's will be much heavier, and hence get even worse gas mileage.

Beyond those two items, its really preference. Off road, bigger is better.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think I’m probably the first guy on here to get KO2s, picked them up the same week they were first stocked locally. A bit more than 5 years later and 70,000 miles later they are still on my truck, although might be nearing replacement. Took me everywhere I tried, sand, gravel, rock, snow, ice, and pavement. Some towing. No complaints or issues, and still quieter than the stock Rugged Trails at this point in their lifetime. No flats or noticeable damage. Yes, they cost a bit more than some of the other options out there, but given the above, it is worth it, if not more cost effective on the long run.

I upgraded to 285s, but I am an auto P4X with 3.36 gearing. A small 1-2 mpg hit on average, and feels a bit more sluggish, and they are heavy, so if you have a different gear ratio it would be even more noticeable. I liked the look when I was stock height, and still like it lifted 2”.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
You didn't mention your model. I have an S model, and I haven't gone to 285's because I think the 3:11 gears with that tall a tire would be annoyingly lethargic as a daily driver. X, S, SE all have 3:11 gears. If you have a Manual trans or a Pro4X/off road, then you will be better off. - They have 3:36, 3:56, and 3:69 depending on exact package, going from memory.

The other consideration is the 285's will be much heavier, and hence get even worse gas mileage.

Beyond those two items, its really preference. Off road, bigger is better.

The 285 in the tire size is referring to the width not the height. You're thinking of the second number, usually being 70 or 75.

That said, I'd agree that going up from a 70 to 75 with the 3:11 gearing or anyone from 265 to 285 is definitely going to lose takeoff power.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Might look at the Goodyear Ultraterrain. It is similar to duratrac but supposed to be more highway friendly. I have had them a few months and they are quiet and do okay in rain. Can't speak to any other surface.

·
TNX Veteran
3,687 Posts
Ask about tire recommendations and 55% of replies will be "KO2" and 40% will be "Duratrac". It gets old. I think there are far better tires than both that get overlooked because of name recognition.

I don't have personal experience driving on these, but if you are doing 70% road and 30% mild off road but still want a good look, then I would recommend Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. They have a pretty road-friendly tread, will be plenty for "mild off road", but also have the aggressive sidewall to give that look that you want.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have 285/70/17 (same as 285/75/16) on my SE with 3:11 gears. Honestly I cant say it feels much different, even towing, but I'm light on the skinny pedal anyway. Gas mileage took a bit of a hit, but not as bad as I feared, and my X isnt my DD. You either want 33s or you dont.
I purposely picked P rated Falken Wildpeaks that were a lot lighter than E rated LT tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey first time poster been around the fb groups tho. I had the Duratracs (265/75) then Falken AT3Ws(same size) and they were a huge let down..people over hype them too much! Go with the Duratracs for an extra $300 then get a $40 rebate back and you won't die🤣. Jokes aside I regret buying Falkens after using the Duratracs for ~60k miles. The Falkens slip, like a lot and on everything dry and wet. Worst part was a week into owning them one got a hole near the sidewall from a mild 5 minute trip into a field to test them. Granted that was maybe a freak accident but still disappointed that a week old tire goes from a rock or something small puncturing it🤷‍♂️ Duratracs never once slipped and I'm talking on wet roads with the skinny pedal down no VDC...just a heads up as the Duratracs wear down they will get pretty loud but I think that scares the deer away from a distance so it's a win win.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Ive used the Falken wildpeak at3w for a couple years now.
Relatively quiet.
Handles well in rain.
Firm ride.
Tire wear is not noticeable

Overall, i like these tires.
A new tire from Firestone seems to be gaining attention. More aggressive than the old Destination at, but still road quiet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
'06 Offroad, 6 MT. I replaced very old tires with 285/75 Duratracs about 6 months ago. For me, they seem good in every situation but one: I have to watch my speed much more carefully on offramps and in tight turns. Those tall sidewalls do squirm much more than the 265s did, and that can get you in serious trouble. Took a 2 mpg hit on mileage and got a bit back with a Bullydog, along with a small power boost. Overall happy I did it and at 25k miles, they look new

YMMV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts