Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
on line
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got everything off except the valve. I know to rotate the valve counterclockwise so I can pull it out, and see the male slots on the bottom of the new valve, so I assume the alignment is critical. It's probably just because I'm tired, but I don't seem to be able to line the valve up with the female slots so I can pull the valve off the cannister from underneath the vehicle. Can anyone tell me about how far to rotate the valve from its locked position, in order to pull it off? And by the way, Nissan made this job more difficult than it needed to be. Thanks.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
i know you changed the valve back in march..... the only reason for my message is that i had to change mine again.... and in the process i found a lot of dirt inside where the valve plugs in ... being very concerned..... i used some gasket seal on the round opening to the valve to make sure no air or dust enters.... also ... you will probably have this problem again if you have gone off roading or on trails.... what i found out is that the hose that was attached to your valve goes over to the inside of your xterra frame and is an open air area.... this means that you will have dust and dirt make its way into the hose and pollute your carbon canister system... mine looked really bad... i took a vacumm and vacummed the valve fitting area.. then a compressor to the hose right in the middle of the canister - a lot of dust and dirt blew out the valve fitting area.... the problem is that the small hose in the carbon canister will send the fuel vapors into your intake..... the only thing i cant figure out since there was no visible dust in the center hose fitting or the fitting to the intake ...... all iknow is that your canister might be polluted and you might want to replace it or try using a compressor to blow the dust and dirt out....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts