Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, hoping someone can help me here as I’m on the road pretty far from home.

Noticed the temp gauge climbing on my X not too many miles ago (about 10). Was traveling uphill, no problems, passed a semi and it was after the tranny shifted into a higher gear after letting off the gas that I noticed the temp start to climb.

Pulled over immediately to let engine cool and checked coolant level in reservoir, everything looked good there.

Started back up but slowly started to rise again. If I raise the RPMs the temp goes down, if I’m cruising it stays a little above where I normally see it and if I’m at around 65-70 it raisesto about 3/r the gauge level.
No issues at idle either. Only other thing I noticed is gas mileage seems a little poor but I’m also weighed down with hunting gear and roof top tent.

Coolant was changed less than 15k a go along with the thermostat.

I stopped in a small town in caseI need to grab a part to try and make a roadside repair if possible. Planning to at least swing by a car wash and hose out radiator. Could it be a Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I hosed off radiator, didn’t loo like much came off if it, there were some bugs and some of the fins are bent. But, I’m guessing this is a fan clutch issue.

I can easily spin the fan by hand, also took a piece of mail and rolled it up tight and with the engine running put the mail on the fan blades and just that single piece of rolled up mail almost stopped the fan from spinning. Hoping the local auto parts store has a fan clutch, and if so looks like I’ll be spending some time in the parking lot here.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
When it starts climbing turn your heat on high. If that helps cool things off then it means your rad doesn't have enough cooling capacity. If the heater doesn't help at all then its something else - sticking T-Stat or bad water pump or something along those lines.

Bad cooling fans generally show up at slow speeds or idle. At highway speed you should have enough air moving through the rad that the fan won't affect things at all.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
What brand of thermostat did you install? If it's an aftermarket unit and not a Nissan part there's a chance that's the problem. It's one of those parts where for some reason a lot of people have issues with non-OE.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
800 Posts
Use an OEM fan clutch. Aftermarket will not work correctly.

It is also possible one or both rad/tank caps are bad. Again, OEM ONLY on those if you replace them.

Check your coolant level when engine is COLD and running. Only check at expansion tank. Do NOT open radiator.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Are the Radiator and reservoir caps on correctly? Not switched? If they're switched it can cause a overheating.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yeah, forgot to add that tidbit about the caps.

Spring cap on expansion tank, no spring on radiator.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok so I’m wondering if this is a bigger issue (hoping not).

I’m stuck in a pretty small town so OEM parts are pretty much off the table. Replaced fan clutch, radiator cap (with the correct one, not spring type) and thermostat sensor.

Fired truck up, no issues, no overheating, drove around town with no issue. Back on the highway, starts over heating then I get a sudden loss of power. Pulled over, going to limp back to the town and start over.

Does the loss of power point to something else? I’m now leaning towards water pump failure.

·
Registered
151 Posts
explain the moment that it started happening a little more... so the trans upshifted after you passed the semi and that's when it started happening? I'm guessing the trans downshifted when you passed the semi?

how does the oil look? maybe that load on the engine while passing the semi hurt the head gasket?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I limped back to town temp started to rise at about 40mph and 1500rpms. Turned on heater and it kept the temp low enough to get back. Pretty far from a dealership though. Also, for what it’s worth, no CEL.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
explain the moment that it started happening a little more... so the trans upshifted after you passed the semi and thats when it started happening? im guessing the trans downshifted when you passed the semi?

how does the oil look? maybe that load on the engine while passing the semi hurt the head gasket?
Yes initially downshifted to pass semi going uphill, but once passed the engine shifted up and that’s the point that I noticed it overheating.

Oil looks fine, maybe a touch low and slightly dirty, right at 3k miles since last oil service so that seems normal.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
First thought is the that system needs to be bled. Did you burp the cooling system after replacing the t-stat? Second thought, and the worst...What year is the truck? What does your trans fluid look like? What color is your coolant?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes system was completely drained, flushed, refilled and burped when thermostat was replaced - someone mentioned thermostat being issue if not OEM, the replacement is not an OEM - truck is 2008, coolant is green, clear and not frothy or milky. Tranny fluid is a nice pinkish red.

·
Registered
800 Posts
At this point I’m thinking t-stat is staying closed.

Reactions: idn88

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
At this point I’m thinking t-stat is staying closed.
What he said.

While your at it - replace the spring rad cap on the degas bottle - that is the one that actually controls the pressure in your system.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Take the galdurn stat out and check it to see if it opens. Put it in some boiling water and see if it opens, at least then you'll know for sure.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts