Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 118K on my 2006 X and after being away from this Forum for a while I was reading up and determined that i needed to:1, do the trans/radiator bypass. I did this about 4 weeks ago, good news, no sign of SMOD. 2. perform the PMF. I did this and my X ran like it was new again. I had previously had a little hesitation when accelerating while in OD, this was immediately gone.

Then today (3 weeks later) I drove around running errands and at first there was a noticeable hesitation when shifting into reverse. Over the next couple of hours, reverse was gone.

I haven't yet added an extra trans cooler, but I have a new radiator sitting in my garage waiting to go in.

Any ideas on Reverse?

Thanks in advance!

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fluids seem good. Can there be too much ATF in there?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
On an automatic you want to be within the specified range, being over or under is not good. Never seen fluid being overfull cause a gear to not work though. But I haven't worked on everything.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had it happen on a different brand vehicle, and it was the reverse band that broke.

The forward gears all worked, but no reverse.

Just contributing my experience.

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just checked fluid level with the engine running, and it seems low. Is this how I should check the fluid level? I must have let way too much out during the PMF. Will add fluid on my lunch hour and update. Fingers crossed.

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No luck. Check fluids with engine running. Plenty of fluid. Fluid looks great. X runs perfectly, but reverse won't engage.

Any other ideas?

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone have any additional info on the "reverse band"?

Is this inside the transmission?

I just spent $2K on new catalytic converters and was told that I need a new timing chain ($1350), so if the tranny is bad, this thing is getting traded in this weekend.

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got off the phone with the local transmission shop. He says that not having reverse is not a good thing. He says I most likely did have some contamination from the radiator, and that I most likely need a rebuild. $$$$

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just thought about this. When I did the PMF, I used 12 qts of Matic-J. But I was low about 1.5 qts and had no more Matic-J, so I had to use the Castrol GTX import blend. It said it was compatible, and I was in a jam as I needed to get to work the next day. Do you think mixing in the Castrol could be the problem?

Like I said earlier, it worked fine for three weeks and still runs perfectly in gears 1-5. But still no reverse!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
No, the Castrol would not have been your problem.

How long did you run the engine while doing the PMF? It is possible you dry-ran the transmission too long and wore something out, although I have to admit I have never heard of this happening.

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ran it for maybe 2 minutes. Pouring fluid the entire time. Don't think it ran dry. The part that is so weird is that it ran perfectly fine for 3 weeks.

·
on line
436 Posts
Reverse solenoid taken a crap? If the band broke I would expect it to be an instantaneous failure to work rather than over a period of time.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
No, the Castrol would not have been your problem.

How long did you run the engine while doing the PMF? It is possible you dry-ran the transmission too long and wore something out, although I have to admit I have never heard of this happening.
Sounds possible though. When I changed mine I did a drain, fill, and drive three times to prevent it from ever running dry and I have the same year and about the same mileage as he does and mine had no problem.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Is there a possibility that went in your gear box? Does the light chande to R when you switch? Does it make any sound when you switch?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It switches into reverse. The display says R, back up lights illuminate. It makes no noise, no grinding. It is just like it is in neutral.

Would another PMF help?

·
Registered
373 Posts
It switches into reverse. The display says R, back up lights illuminate. It makes no noise, no grinding. It is just like it is in neutral.

Would another PMF help?
I ment to say maybe a spring or something went in your gear box. I would think transmision is ok but computer is not registering.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 25 Posts