Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
on line
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its now offically winter here in new york burrrrrr ill let the x warm up about 10 minutes and then go to the store and leave it running
come out of the store 4 minutes later still cold air blowing out as im sitting
there i rev the motor then all the heat comes out of the vents as i back out of my space and drive down the road i have heat. when i stop at the traffic light no heat only when im driving - 2005 1/2 xterra SE 81k daily driver

knight armor all clear led tailights hunter bull bar(aussie model)
two piaa rounds on bar ,cooper ATRs Load Warrior shackles/ft.springs
sirius ,navi,piaa ion yellow bulbs in factory fogs

help

·
on line
1,574 Posts
welcome.
and mine does the same, untail i start driving a few miles. i usually let the temp guage get about a 1/4 of the way up before i turn on the heat.

·
on line
615 Posts
2005xterrase said:
so this is normal? thank god thought i had a vaccum hose leak
It's normal to not have instantaneous heat when you turn your X on even when you let it warm up, the engine isn't working that hard. Now I don't believe that it is normal to only have heat when you are moving. Are you saying that it stops blowing heat if you stop at a light?? That, I believe, is NOT normal.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
i mis read that about the no heat when at a stop light. does it do this after driveing for more than say 20 mins?
if so then id say somethings wrong
it should be consistant heat after the engine block is nice and toasty

·
on line
962 Posts
that's exactly what happens to me!

I went to sit int he X during lunch the other day and it was chilly outside...it was useless! It doesnt blow hot air until I start moving. The X even sat running for 20 minutes.

·
on line
807 Posts
I've read that for some odd reason these trucks are extremely sensitive to the coolant level. There have been a few people on clubfrontier complaining about a lack of heat, and it ended up that when they topped off their coolant, the problem was fixed... when I say extremely sensitive, it mean EXTREMELY, make sure the coolant level is spot-on.

·
on line
49 Posts
mine too

I have a new 2007 OR X just 4 mos now. since day 1, I have had the same problem. heat worked great, but only when moving. We thought it was just a quirk until last week when it got <0f it became more than annoying. basically, I could let it idle in the driveway forever and it still wouldn't warm up the interior, and forget about defrost (not a good thing in winter in Colorado). anyway, found some info on another forum and brought to dealership on Monday (poster said they had same issue and cooling sys needed to be drained and refilled). dealers says it's a T connector somewhere near the firewall that leaked coolant (tho I never saw nor smelled any leak) which drew air in and caused the lack of heat. hopefully, it will be fixed tomorrow - esp b/c they gave me a Versa in the meantime!

Still love the X tho!!!!

·
on line
69 Posts
that happened to me as well!! i took it to the dealership and they had to bleed the system took about 30 mins and now it works great!!!!

·
on line
750 Posts
Had the same thing last week when I went to install my XM radio. Had it running for 20 minutes or more with no heat. Part of it was the coolant was a teentsy bit low but I was also parked on a decline so it compounded the problem.

Topped it off and no problems since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It makes no sense to me. Coolant-heating is a circulating system in a car. Why do you need to bleed it? Air will just bubble into coolant expansion tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the same problem as of last week and i posted on here on friday about teh issue. My was due to a cracekd radiator. So my coolant level was ok (added some recently to mark) but radiator was emptied due to teh crack. Had to get a new radiator but then there was an air bubble in the system which prevent "full" hot air. tried to flush it out several times but was unsuccessful. now im seeing if i can work it out. check teh coolant level and radiator. Then make sure it is not the beginning signs of SMOD. (check the under radiator cap)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Can't believe no one posted the answer to this, growing up in ohio I replaced this part every other winter. If you have poor heater performance and no other symptoms it is one of two things. You are low on radiator fluid, or your thermostat is defective. What happens is it never closes so water constantly circulates through the radiator and it never gets warm enough to heat the cabin. It is an $11-20 part through rock auto, and under an hour install. Shameless plug, go to www.azxterraclub.com and use our 5% discount at rockauto ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
No Heat? Fill your expansion tank!

come out of the store 4 minutes later still cold air blowing out as im sitting
there i rev the motor then all the heat comes out of the vents as i back out of my space and drive down the road i have heat. when i stop at the traffic light no heat only when im driving

help[/QUOTE]

I had this exact problem till I joined this forum today and found the solution! My expansion tank was waaaaaay low!

I filled it to the tipity top with 50/50 mix and the problem disappeared instantly and stayed away for my 20 minute drive back and forth to a club meeting.

I know it sounds unbelievable but it's true, low coolant level in the expansion tank causes this problem.

:wave:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think this has already been covered. But if you have some miles on your X and the heater is blowing cold, you might want to think about having your cooling system flushed. My 06's heater would blow cold any time I was stopped. It got progressively worse till I got it flushed. Solved the problem completely!
Just a thought..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just had this happen to mine...took it to the shop...thermostat stuck open and needs to be replaced. Just 3 weeks out of warranty..not even 36k miles :(

1 - 20 of 41 Posts