Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its a rainny day and im coming home from work today driving the the 57. i smelt something burning..well it smelt like it had been a fire and had been put out w/ water.

15 mins. later as im getting off the freeway it gets worse...WAY WORSE..look out the mirrors and the back is on fire, atleast i thought. i stop and get out...to see a 2-3 foot flaming roof bin~!

my roof had been on fire for 15 minutes~! i frantically called 911 to be put on hold AND~ And be hanged up on...911 hung up on me~! i looked for something to put it out...i grabbed my leftover horchata drink and a bottle of coke and tried to put out as much as i could. didn't help.... then thank god~ a guy comes running up the hill w/ a fire extingusher
i put it out and just drove home.

what happened was one of my lights mounted on the roof rake rail caught on fire (i dont know y, but definetly not wiring) and caught the rest of my swimming gear which i keep in the roof rack on fire. my shirt boardshorts and towel are gone. my roof is melted down lower than the front wind deflector and to the paint AND i think it warped my roof~

GUYS....i dont know what to do. i think i need to tell the company this and ask for some reimbursment and or file a suite since i mounted the lights exactly as the instructions had said. i dont want to go to my insureance. dude....i dont know what to do. i have a final tomarrow and i definetly do not need this happening right now.

i need some legal advice. what can i do guys? help

·
on line
1,208 Posts
no clue here, I would call my insurance, but I also have a no deductable insurance.

but you should take a picture of it and post it so we can all point and go..."Whow.....damn......thats cool looking"

·
on line
874 Posts
I am not sure i understand the "not reporting it" part that so many people play...afterall you pay month after month for them to do noting for you untill you have a problem...and if your deductiable goes up go shopping for another company...I have never had a issue with my deductable or anything going up after i made a claim on it...then again i have good insureance...(Horace Mann)

·
on line
807 Posts
marzterra said:
I am not sure i understand the "not reporting it" part that so many people play...afterall you pay month after month for them to do noting for you untill you have a problem...and if your deductiable goes up go shopping for another company...I have never had a issue with my deductable or anything going up after i made a claim on it...then again i have good insureance...(Horace Mann)
X2, why have insurance, if you're not going to use it.

Also, how are you so sure that the fire wasn't wiring related?
Were the lights on at the time?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
911 put you on hold, then hung up on you......i really hope you saw a 5 alarm fire on the new that night or something...there is just no excuse for that!

how much damage to the roof rack was there?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Were the lights on at the time?

How were they wired (ie, where is the fuse? What is the power source? Where is the switch?)?

You would be better of just turning it into your insurance than trying to fight a court battle with the light company. Unless there is a pattern of their lights catching fire, I doubt they are just going to turn over money to replace the roof rack.

Also, this is why I carry a fire extinguisher. You never know when you might need it.

·
TNX Administrator
20,234 Posts
Muzikman said:
Also, this is why I carry a fire extinguisher. You never know when you might need it.
Yep, I carry two of them; (1) in the bottle holder inside the driver door and (1) under the passenger seat.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Since there are two bottle holders and I ain't got no babies (I think) -one extinguisher, in each front door--

--I carry two, they fit PERFECT , you need them MAINLY off-road-

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Currently mine is not really in a good location, but I always have a Nalgene bottle in the door. I plan on keeping the larger extinguisher in the back and mount a smaller one to the drivers door under the arm rest.

·
on line
152 Posts
not to add another thing you need to worry about but i would go wash the roof and surrounding area very very good right now. I say this because if the fire extinguisher was a dry chemical type the the chemical is corrosive which means it will eat away at the paint, plastic, and other stuff. It also ruins electrical connections since you can never clean those good enough and will also eat through wire insulation. Hopefully the fire extinguisher used was Halon or CO2 and if it was Halon i would go find that guy and thank him again bc those are expensive as crap.

heres a site if you care to read about the exciting facts of fire extinguishers http://www.fire-extinguisher101.com/

·
on line
1,361 Posts
that sucks, i would go through your insurance. The light company could say you installed it incorrectly and since it burned you have no proof you did it correctly. They could then say when installed correctly this won't happen. Unless, like said above, there is a history of their lights burning.

either way good luck

·
on line
279 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your X, and there is nothing humorous about about it right now....but when reading your story I couldn't help chuckling at the vision of someone frantically dousing a roof-rack fire with a cup of horchata. Trust me, you'll look back and it will be funny one day. For now, I hope you have a speedy and painless resolution.

Use your insurance - that's what it is there for.

·
on line
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanx for your opinions.

ugh for the installation.....its pretty hard to mess up or stray away from the way their ddirections tell you to do it. the lights come w/ a wiring harness. all you have to do is connect a wire the the battery, ground another wire(i used a stock grounding point), and slice into an ign. wire. these lights that burned appeared to have vents on the side, while my front ones do not. the directions do not say anything about rain. just talks about never being at a complete stop for more than a few minutes.

damn....i should wash my car.... i need to take some pictures though.

if i go through insurance, arnt' they going to bitch at my lights. raise my monthly. i dont need that going up any more than it is. costs the same as the payment for the X~!

F 911 operators. i stood there w/ empty bottles watching my car burn down.....a holes.....

Dont worry....i laugh everytime i tell the story. laugh all you want. its one of those ironic storys anyways.

im about to go to school and study for my final. ill post up pictures no later than tomarrow night.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If the lights were off and they still caused the fire, then there was something incorrectly wired about them. If there is no electricity going to the lights then they are not going to do anything, rain or not.

Were they fused correctly? If so, as soon as they shorted out the fuse should have blown (and the fire wouldn't have started).

Was the proper gauge wire used for the length of the run? If you had to splice extra wire on to the wire harness then there is a chance that the gauge was too thin (but again, this should only be a problem if the lights were on).

Were all spices shrink wrapped to prevent shorting?

What kind of condition are the lights themselves in? Are they nothing more than a melted chunk of plastic?

What brand lights were they?

·
on line
735 Posts
the lights obviously made something hot enough to melt and combust. You really need to think about anything that can go wrong when you install any kind of aftermarket product.

I'm sure you'll hate me for saying this, but I laughed at the whole story. I had a similar experience though. Luckily a nice mexican family stopped and gave me a couple of bottles of water to douse the flames.

·
on line
707 Posts
I almost bought a small fire extinguisher at the store today, but then I got cheap and changed my mind. I will be going back to the store tomorrow to buy it....Looked like it might be the perfect size for the door bottle holder. This is the reason I am scared to screw around with electronics and wiring in my X, I would probably end up burning up the whole vehicle.

Sorry about your roof and your day, that sucks!

·
on line
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the lights are the msx from IPF or CATZ japan. i had to extend the harness in order to mount the lights on the roof. i used the same 16 gauge wire and the lights operate at 55 watts.
my fuse did not blow and i know i didn't mess up on the wiring.
yes i shrinkwrapped it i did it right. im sure. they didn't have any problems the last couple months ive used it.
i really think it has something to do w/ the rain. this is the first time the car was out in the rain since the installation.

and....LOL the guy that brought me the fire extingguisher was also MEXICAN!!!
LOL ahahaha.....i dont mind if you guys laugh. its a funny story....

im just looking for some advice on how to get my money. or some money.
so i looked up all the parts of the roof. dude the roof rack alone runs for over i$400

1 - 20 of 24 Posts