Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a brand new Xterra. 1500 miles on it. This morning when I went to fire her up, I got nothing. No lights, not even a try of the motor turning over. Nothing. I asked my neighbor to jump me. As soon as the connection was made my battery voltage meter shot up to where it normally is when I drive and fired up no problem. Not even any hesitation. I let it sit for a while thinking well maybe it needs a good charge and also obviously the drive to work. Once I got in my parking garage I turned the car off and went to go restart it to make sure it was ok. Got nothing again! Not even the try of the motor trying to turn over. Nothing. No lights or anything again. HELP!

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I recently had to get my terminals replaced because they simply stretched out and didn't have as tight a grip on the battery post as they used to - I had starting issues for a little while because they weren't making good contact. All I had to do was tape them down to the battery and my X was fine.

Wiggle them around and see if they're loose - tighten if possible, and if not take it to the dealer and have them replaced (it'll be on warranty).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently had to get my terminals replaced because they simply stretched out and didn't have as tight a grip on the battery post as they used to - I had starting issues for a little while because they weren't making good contact. All I had to do was tape them down to the battery and my X was fine.

Wiggle them around and see if they're loose - tighten if possible, and if not take it to the dealer and have them replaced (it'll be on warranty).
Thanks for that. I will check when I get out of work. Appreciate the tip. In the meantime, if anyone else has had this experience or dealt with anyone who has please feel free to share.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If its not the terminals

Test your battery, usually free at an auto parts store.

Lastly the alternator, might be a stretch for a new vehicle tho....but you never know

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
676 Posts
No. No shocking. Just don't lay a wrench across both terminals, shorting them together.
Posted via Mobile Device
Along the same lines, don't let the wrench touch anything metal (the body is grounded/connected to the neg. terminal) while tightening the positive cable.

If putting a new battery in, tighten positive first, then the negative. That way if you slip there is a much smaller chance for + to - connection.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Since we are talking battery issues, I discovered this gem yesterday. 2012 x with 27k on it.

I don't have starting issues, however it is still concerning. Should I take it to the dealership or just go buy a new battery?

My buddy put a multimeter on it and it tested 5 volts across the top of the battery.

·
Registered
676 Posts
^^^^Dealership.

I bought my 2011 as a leftover. When we went to do the testdrive, the only 2011 that had enough juice to start was an "S" model, the Pro-4x was completely dead (no dome lights etc.). Pretty sure they popped a new battery in before I took it home.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Since we are talking battery issues, I discovered this gem yesterday. 2012 x with 27k on it.

I don't have starting issues, however it is still concerning. Should I take it to the dealership or just go buy a new battery?

My buddy put a multimeter on it and it tested 5 volts across the top of the battery.
That looks alot better than mine, the white fuzz goes right accross the tie down on mine. Every so often I pop the hood and scrape it all off and it builds up again. Never (touch wood) had any issues with it in 2+ yrs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts