Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for wheels for snow tires on my 2012 Pro4 and I can't decide what wheels to get. Honestly I don't know the pros/cons of either. so I'm asking the experts. Thanks! :salute:

These silver guys for $145

or these blacked out for $100

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
OP says he has a PRO-4X so that's what I assume he runs now.

I can tell you now that the rims are different weights (granted almost negligibly so) - the silver ones are steel, the blacked-out ones are aluminum alloy (and thus lighter). Not sure what kind of winter tires you plan to run, but I don't think a little extra weight could hurt in the traction department - you can always paint the steelies. End of the day, it'll mostly come down to the tire you want to run. Both those rims are 16" and don't fit any differently from each other.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the stock wheels that I'll keep my summer rubber on. I was not sure if there was a benefit to the steel over the others. I'm not worried about looks more what is a better wheel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll probably be getting studded Hankook iPikes, they have served me well in the past.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Do you live up in the foothills? If not, what's the reason to run studs? IMO, they're entirely unnecessary for us down here in town ... but if you feel they're good for you, then more power to you. I also realize that's not the point of the thread, so feel free to ignore if you don't want to derail the wheel discussion.

Unless you're going to be taking the rims offroad, I don't think there will be a discernible difference for you. Pick the ones you like better and go with it ... assuming, of course, that both match up (width/diameter-wise) with the tires you want to put on them.

If you hit either hard enough (with a curb; or a rock, if offroad) it's possible that the steel would bend (repairable with a hammer, possibly), where the alloy would crack and break. I have seen/heard of both happening, but only on the trail.

Also, consider shipping in the cost ... I've seen that go as high as $25/wheel, depending on method ... so not an insignificant adder to the cost. If $100 for the blacked out ones is for the whole set, that's a steal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be using the X for driving up to the mountains on power days. I work from home so not much driving around town.

Good advice. I think I'll go with the steelies.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My advice don't even get "winter wheels" just put good tires on your wheels ( and stealth them) that work in all conditions. Most of us here run the Goodyear duratrac. It is amazing offroad and in the snow. Also almost no noise on pavement. Look into them
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
those look like killer tires. It would be nice to have just one set for sure. They are pricey. Any tips on where around Denver might have the best prices?

thanks for the help.

My advice don't even get "winter wheels" just put good tires on your wheels ( and stealth them) that work in all conditions. Most of us here run the Goodyear duratrac. It is amazing offroad and in the snow. Also almost no noise on pavement. Look into them
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 23 Posts