Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me rephrase. I've undone the UCA from the lower spindle and now I have to screw the thing back in. To torque it I need ... torque, but it is a ball joint so it just sits there and turns as I try to tighten the nut. Did I F#$k something up or is there a trick to popping the spindle back into connect w/ the ball joint so the nut will tighten?
(all suggestions welcome)

·
on line
238 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me last weekend. It's an easy fix. The shaft is tapered remember.

1. Make sure your vehicle is supported on jack stands.
2. Line up your ball joint shaft and lower spindle.
3. Use a floor jack to lift up on the lower control arm.
4. Put enough pressure to compress the suspension some.
5. Tighten nut on ball joint shaft.

The suspension compression pressure will keep the shaft from spinning. Hopefully this helps and is what you are talking about.

·
on line
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you're right. So, you've gotta compress it enough for the thing to stop spinning... that seems like it's going to take a lot of pressure... hrmm.... well, I'll save that for tomorrow. :blackeye: :drunken:

Thanks

·
on line
238 Posts
It actually doesn't take much pressure. All you have to do is start compressing the suspension part way. Make sure your threads are clean as well. Maybe slap some never seeze on the threads. The shaft for the ball joint is tapered and the more torque that is applied the harder the taper holds in the hole. Don't lube the shaft, it needs to grip into the hole (opposite as normal thinking :la: )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts