Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UGH, I'm torn between two Xterra's I'm looking at.

1. 2008 SE, Silver, 30K miles, clean but possible issues down the road with SMOD. It's close to me at a dealer, I offered them $16k, but they wouldn't come down below $17k, I was thinking they might call before the end of the month with a better deal. Needs new tired very soon.

2. 2011 Pro-4x, 15k miles. White(My Favorite color). it's in another state, three hour drive from here, got them down to $23k over the internet, might be able to work them down some more if I drive up there tomorrow.

I really like the idea of the Pro-4x, locker, upgraded suspension and shocks, tow package, but I guess I could add them down the road if needed for less than the cost of the upgrade.

What say you?

Thanks

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Plus I think you'll have more options for tires at 16" rims? Or at least cheaper ones I believe

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you guys all work for the dealership??? Trying to get me to spend more money :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
All things considered, it is $6000 (the most) for a 3 year newer vehicle with half the mileage, if it was me I would pull the trigger on the 2011... and on the 2008 if you need tires soon that is another 800 dollars.

You should be able to negotiate the price further down for the 2011... what worked for us (we drove 3 hours) was that we were already approved for the loan from my credit union for $17,500 (they wanted $18,000 so it was easy as they didn't have to deal with processing the loan and all that stuff) and my wife and I played the good buyer that is interested and wants it all and she played the bad buyer that would not buy if they don't want to work with us.

We almost walked out of the dealer and the sales manager came back to us with a better counteroffer.

I would try to shoot for $22,000 OTD and you may get $22,800 OTD. In their mind they are looking for $23K plus doc fees, dealer fees and taxes which will put you at $24,500 to $25,000. Remind them that you had to go to all the trouble of getting there to buy the vehicle...

Good luck with the acquisition.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, since we're all in agreement here, (my GF agrees with you guys). I looks like I'll be making the three hour drive to SC tomorrow morning and drive her home. I can't get them deal via email, but we'll see what happens when I get up there.

All in all I don't think $23k is too bad for only having 11k miles.

Can't wait to start modding! :cheers:

·
Registered
349 Posts
The Pro-4x most definitely. The one point I will make, which is a personal story myself. If one has the color you prefer more than the other, than by all means let that be a high point for the vehicle. I wanted a red X when I got my 2002 (grey). I loved that vehicle, but it was not red so I was always drooling over the red ones and looking for ways to get a good quality paint job without having to spend a ton of money.

In 2010, my family got me a Off Road X. Again, I wanted red, but there were no red Off Roads in Arizona or nearby states. So I had a choice of black, white or Night Armor. I went with the Night Armor as I felt it was the better of the three. I loved that vehicle, but it wasn't red... sure you got the point.

So this year, for my anniversary, my offered to swap the 2010 for the new 2013 X and this time, the dealer only got our business if it was exactly what I wanted. I have my red X now and I am totally happy. Maybe not everyone is that bent on the color of the vehicle. But if white is your favorite color, getting the silver may not be the best option.

That said - I agree with the others. Newer model, lower miles, all around better choice.

Wish you luck on your purchase either way you go. By the way, the 2002 is still in the family (my daughter's X now), and the 2010 was sold to a friend. All in still great shape and quite reliable.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Kind of, but they aren't lying when they say they can't drop it. They have to reduce the price somewhere else.

Do you guys all work for the dealership??? Trying to get me to spend more money :iconbiggrin:
It doesn't really work like that. Depending on how they bought it, they might rather you bought the older one.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damnit, I can't sleep. I just want to drive on up there now and bring my baby home......:geek:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
In many states you can bring a copy of the sales contract to motor vehicles and register get tags yourself. If you are buying out of state that might not work

Kind of, but they aren't lying when they say they can't drop it. They have to reduce the price somewhere else.

It doesn't really work like that. Depending on how they bought it, they might rather you bought the older one.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Got it. Now have to drive back 3 hrs alone. Totally stoked right now

My GF took a pic from her car as we headed out of Beaufort SC back to FL. It was a long day, Filled it up as we left the dealer, 192 miles, and took 11.25 to fill her back up. 17 MPG @ 75 MPH. I would have thought it was closer to 20. I guess I need to check a few things. It's VERY Clean, was never off road. Stock tires are still in great shape.

Let the fun begin :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 40 Posts