Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an Xterra forum but because the Frontier is so similar and I like this forum and I'd rather not join a Frontier forum to ask this.

I'm getting a new truck in a week or so. I've narrowed down my choices to the 2014 Frontier Pro4-X and the 2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD (surprised?). Why should I buy Nissan over Toyota? (Yes, I'm seriously asking this) Please don't :violent3: me to bad.

The Xterra isn't in the cards. I prefer a truck with a truck bed.

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Agreed. I'm a Toyota fan and love their products but their prices just aren't justified compared to Nissan, which also has an amazing product

Sent from you know where...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have owned several Toyotas and I can't really say anything bad about any of them. My 2014 Xterra is my first Nissan and I like it just as well. I actually like the motor in the X, which is the same as in the Frontier, a little better. It seems to have more low-end power and does a little better job pulling my TT than my last Tacoma. I really don't think you can go wrong with either brand. They are both rock solid reliable with the Nissan costing a little less giving you a little better bang for your buck. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have both an X and a Fronty. We tried the Taco's when we bought the Fronty, and they were a lot more money, have less HP, and the VQ40 engine is bulletproof and won a ton of awards. I certainly wouldn't mind a Taco, but its not worth the money. The Taco guys will tell you the Fronty has too large a turn radius, but its only minor difference (its like 40 vs 43 feet). Also, we were looking at the lower end ones, and the Taco cloth was that velvety crap that gets dirty and you can never clean. If your looking at leather in both, which I am guessing you are, then it probably wouldn't matter.

As a personal matter I hate the spray in bedliner, but that might just be me.

Its honestly doubtful you would be unhappy with either.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Dude, I thought after two years you were back! I got all excited, and now I hear you are thinking about going to Toyota? :sad11:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Deciding factor for me was the seating position - Frontier more like a truck, Taco more like a car. Other than that it was a toss up. $$ savings was bonus.

·
on line
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dude, I thought after two years you were back! I got all excited, and now I hear you are thinking about going to Toyota? :sad11:
LOL. I haven't bought anything yet. I like both trucks, just want to make the best choice because I will have this thing for a while.

·
Registered
120 Posts
One thing I don't like about the Tacoma is how bubbly it looks, but thats my personal preference.
My good friend has a '13 Tacoma TRD, and I don't know if they all come with the fake hood scoop, but I find that it really interferes with my forward vision compared to the smooth hood of the Frontier/Xterra.

·
on line
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing I don't like about the Tacoma is how bubbly it looks, but thats my personal preference.
My good friend has a '13 Tacoma TRD, and I don't know if they all come with the fake hood scoop, but I find that it really interferes with my forward vision compared to the smooth hood of the Frontier/Xterra.
Yeah, the one I'm considering doesn't have the non-function hood scoop. I find that kinda thing silly.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I hate to say this, but the Toy will have better resale... So, any difference in purchase price is negligible.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I hate to say this, but the Toy will have better resale... So, any difference in purchase price is negligible.
In this case, I wouldn't go that far. You can buy a Frontier significantly cheaper and the resale is almost as good. The Frontier has great resale value too. Its a a perennial residual great. Way better than the Xterra and most Nissans.

·
on line
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Xterra.

'Nuff said.
If I didn't hunt, I'd get another Xterra, but cleaning dead deer out of the back is annoying. That's why I'm looking at the Frontier.

·
on line
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In this case, I wouldn't go that far. You can buy a Frontier significantly cheaper and the resale is almost as good. The Frontier has great resale value too. Its a a perennial residual great. Way better than the Xterra and most Nissans.
One of the biggest things I'm struggling with is how much nicer the interior of the Tacoma is over the Frontier. It's almost night and day. It definitely is a better place to be however, I do like a form follows function mindset of the Frontier/Xterra interior.

Back when I had the Xterra, I remember the SMOD and everyone doing the bypass, is that still an issue with the newer, post '13 models? Also, I understand the front diff on the Xterra/Frontier's are prone to cracking, is that still an issue?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
One of the biggest things I'm struggling with is how much nicer the interior of the Tacoma is over the Frontier. It's almost night and day. It definitely is a better place to be however, I do like a form follows function mindset of the Frontier/Xterra interior.

Back when I had the Xterra, I remember the SMOD and everyone doing the bypass, is that still an issue with the newer, post '13 models? Also, I understand the front diff on the Xterra/Frontier's are prone to cracking, is that still an issue?
Smod is no longer an issue. Have you seen the 13+ pro4x center stack? It's a lot better. The front differential is the same. However, I never had an issue with mine in four summers of offroading in CO. From reading on here you would think it's a ticking time bomb. My Frontier wasn't as good offroad and didn't have a locker so, on tougher trails, I had to let the tires spin and the ABLS do it's thing.

I don't think the Tacoma is a bad truck. There are positives and negatives to both. I just don't think it's worth paying a premium for over the Frontier. I would also consider used with the new model coming out in 2016(ish).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts