Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading other posts and doing research regarding some new tires. I plan to go with 285/70/r17 (already have lift). I have narrowed my choice down to 3 tires.
Cooper evolution m/t
Falken wildpeak at3w
Falken wildpeak m/t.
These 3 meet what I want in a tire. Currently I am leaning towards the Cooper evolution for the sole reason that they are lighter than both falken tires. I know it's only 7 lbs, but that adds up and might cause a bit more of a loss in MPG.
The Falkens on the other hand have a mileage warranty, and from what I have read might wear better than the coopers.
I am looking for input from people who have actually used or have these specific tires.
Most of my driving is on road, but when I go offroad I'm in deep ruts and on sharp rocks. Thanks for any input you guys might offer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have Wildpeak AT3 265/75/R16’s on stock rims and I love them. No issue at high speeds, quiet and great in the snow. They are wearing well after 2 years of owning them. I’ve been on a few trails with them and they handle rocks well, although airing down helps that. I got the Discount Tire certs just in case I punch through the sidewall or something.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the Falken AT3W and they’re spectacular. Been running them for about two years and there is barely any visible wear. Use em off road about 15 times/year and they handle rocks really well. I can’t say much about mud bc I’m in Colorado and everything is rock. I run them at 18-20 psi off road and 34 psi on road and they perform great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Reactions: AlbatrossCafe

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Gotcha.

As an owner of a set of 265/75-16 Wildpeak AT3W's, I can at least provide a long term update.

I've put apx 25,000 miles on my tires, and they look as though they could last for another 50K miles.

During my time of ownership I have had no bad experiences in which to share.
Even today, these tires are wearing evenly and tracking true.
The Wildpeaks ride quietly at hwy speeds and make very little noise when rolling at parking lot speeds.
In wet weather these tires handle very well and provide a great deal of confidence in their ability to deliver me home safely.

I've only been in snow with these tires a couple times and never in anything more than a couple inches deep. Accept this detail when I say they handled these conditions just fine.

Would I buy them again?
To be honest, I have no reason not to.

However, I might try something different to upgrade the appearance of my X.
With that being shared , the tire I posted in my link may be my next choice.
( At the rate my tires are wearing I may need to swap them due to rot before tread loss)

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
1,021 Posts
I'll pick an AT over a MT all day long, but depends how much mud it will really see.
Too bad about the sharp rocks you wheel on...
You can get falken atw/3 in a 285/70/17 in a P rated (4 ply) , you save 13 lbs per tire, thats what I have, I've wheeled with them plenty, not had any issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll pick an AT over a MT all day long, but depends how much mud it will really see.
Too bad about the sharp rocks you wheel on...
You can get falken atw/3 in a 285/70/17 in a P rated (4 ply) , you save 13 lbs per tire, thats what I have, I've wheeled with them plenty, not had any issues.
The rocks aren't like shale rock sharp, more of a jagged and rough edge if that makes sense? They are on the roads I use to get to my hunting areas. I was always under the impression 4 ply was a little small in preventing rock punctures, you say you've never had any flats or anything due to rocks? I like the idea of saving that much weight per tire!

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
1,021 Posts
The rocks aren't like shale rock sharp, more of a jagged and rough edge if that makes sense? They are on the roads I use to get to my hunting areas. I was always under the impression 4 ply was a little small in preventing rock punctures, you say you've never had any flats or anything due to rocks? I like the idea of saving that much weight per tire!
Well, they're certainly not an suv highway tire. I drive hundreds of km of logging roads for hunting and fishing, often while trailering an atv or sxs. It's a lot of dirt road, but yeah some gravel/quarry rock too. I wouldn't hesitate to get the same tire again. I would only hesitate if I was into airing down and driving over shale and wanted that heavy duty sidewall , but that's not my reality.
Most pickups come with p rated tires. if youd take a stock pickup hunting and fishing on your roads without worry, then you maybe don't "need" the C rated. If it's a real concern, then I guess you do. I weighed pros and cons and opted for the tire cost and fuel mileage savings.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I'm currently shopping the 16in brother of those... 285/75r16 (or MAYBE 255/85).
The Cooper Evolution is still in my consideration (mainly because of cost)... but its spec'd height is .4in shorter. 1, I'm looking for height. 2, I wonder if that's partially why its 5lbs lighter than the Yokohama Geolander G003 thats currently in top running. At least both are WAY lighter than the Nittos and Generals. Oh, also... I'm really not sure how precise those measurements are, especially between different brands.
In my size, you don't really get an option on ply, that I've seen. Maybe I've just looked in the wrong places.

Sorry if this posts crazy... its a spreadsheet that I listed them in... and its easier to see when the color coding and 'conditional formatting' colors based on height/weight/cost. Specs from discounttire.com

EDIT: Apparently the forum won't let me past in the 'code' of a spreadsheet, so here's just the top contenders...
285/75r16 & 285/55r16
Wear Quickly - Milestar Paragonia M/T - $174 - 63lbs - 33.1in
Short - Cooper Evolution - $206 - 56lbs - 32.83in
Maybe - Yoko Geolander G003 285/75 - $212 - 61lbs - 33.2in
Maybe - Yoko Geolander G003 255/85 - $239 - 55lbs - 33.2in
Too Short & Expensive - Falken Wildpeak M/T01 285/75 - $256 - 68lbs - 32.72in
Maybe - Falken Wildpeak M/T01 255/85 - $214 - 51lbs - 33.1in

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
1,021 Posts
I'm currently shopping the 16in brother of those... 285/75r16 (or MAYBE 255/85).
The Cooper Evolution is still in my consideration (mainly because of cost)... but its spec'd height is .4in shorter. 1, I'm looking for height. 2, I wonder if that's partially why its 5lbs lighter than the Yokohama Geolander G003 thats currently in top running. At least both are WAY lighter than the Nittos and Generals. Oh, also... I'm really not sure how precise those measurements are, especially between different brands.
In my size, you don't really get an option on ply, that I've seen. Maybe I've just looked in the wrong places.

Sorry if this posts crazy... its a spreadsheet that I listed them in... and its easier to see when the color coding and 'conditional formatting' colors based on height/weight/cost. Specs from discounttire.com

EDIT: Apparently the forum won't let me past in the 'code' of a spreadsheet, so here's just the top contenders...
285/75r16 & 285/55r16
Wear Quickly - Milestar Paragonia M/T - $174 - 63lbs - 33.1in
Short - Cooper Evolution - $206 - 56lbs - 32.83in
Maybe - Yoko Geolander G003 285/75 - $212 - 61lbs - 33.2in
Maybe - Yoko Geolander G003 255/85 - $239 - 55lbs - 33.2in
Too Short & Expensive - Falken Wildpeak M/T01 285/75 - $256 - 68lbs - 32.72in
Maybe - Falken Wildpeak M/T01 255/85 - $214 - 51lbs - 33.1in
The choice for C rated in 285/75/16 is rather limited, its mostly Es, the 17" tires have more options unfortunately.
The pizza cutters (255/85) are an interesting option, I was thinking of going that way, but they were the most expensive at the time I was looking and had a really limited choice.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Currently running E-rated BFG KM2s... which haven't failed me, and haven't killed my mileage or ride either. I think the only C-rated tires are the less aggressive ones, which I'm not even considering.
Yeah, I debated going to 17s purely for tire options... but the tires are also more expensive too.... and I'm cheap. If I had a set of Rubicon take-offs, I'd ease into it $$$-wise... but tires tend to be $150-$200 more per 4 in the 17in size vs 16in.
The 255/85 are DEFINITLY limited in options... and its odd that some are more $$$, others less $$$ when compared to the same tire in a 285/75. Height is kind of a wash, as it falls into the variance within the 285 options... but they all weigh less (6 to 17lbs, which is obviously affected by the actual height too). If I were running titan swap, or wider offset wheels I'd consider them MORE. Though most wheels are wider, so not sure I want a skinnier tire on a wider wheel.

Sorry... I'm side tracking from the 17s, and specific options/questions about them. I just wanted to share the bits that might be similar or help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, they're certainly not an suv highway tire. I drive hundreds of km of logging roads for hunting and fishing, often while trailering an atv or sxs. It's a lot of dirt road, but yeah some gravel/quarry rock too. I wouldn't hesitate to get the same tire again. I would only hesitate if I was into airing down and driving over shale and wanted that heavy duty sidewall , but that's not my reality.
Most pickups come with p rated tires. if youd take a stock pickup hunting and fishing on your roads without worry, then you maybe don't "need" the C rated. If it's a real concern, then I guess you do. I weighed pros and cons and opted for the tire cost and fuel mileage savings.
I think I'll pass on the 4 plys. Looking at the specs the 10 plys are actually 5 lbs lighter than the 6 plys. From what I've read, the ride and handling on our xterra with a 10 ply tire isn't as good as with a 6 ply because we don't have the weight to fully utilize all tread surface, making the ride not as comfortable and the wear can be uneven. Basically they are better utilized on a full size pickup, thoughts on that anyone?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I'm curious how a 10ply is lighter... are you looking at 2 different tires here, or a load rating option of the same tire?
I'd think the lighter tire would ride better, despite any harsh/hardness of the higher ply. It'll simply let the suspension work quicker.

My 285/75 KM2s are 10ply. And are among the lightest in the 285 M/T group. At 60lbs, they fall between the lightweights of 58/59 (mostly agressive A/T) and heaviest of 67-73 (Falken, Nitto, & General)
I can't say the ride feels any rougher than with the OEM. jarring bumps still jar the truck, swooping dips still display our awesome rear springs.
Handling isn't an issue. I mean, their M/T, so it isn't AWESOME when new. Those are some big blocks of rubber to wiggle around. Along with being a tall tire on a 7in wheel. But never felt sketchy or out of control in ANY way. They'll still corner well, its the evasive back and forth or steering under hard braking that causes them to wander. Where is always uneven with a cheap lift... so my outside edges have worn more quickly... but I'm also at 46k+ miles on them. Once aired down, they are PLENTY squishy offroad... so you won't have any issues with rough ride them either.
Partially because of ply, partially because they are a thick M/T tire... I've pulled many screws out of the tread, but NEVER had a puncture.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have Falken ATW3s and they're great. The only tire you get any noise is at higher speeds and in turns, and honestly you don't notice it unless you listen for it. Great tread-life on them aswell. I am thinking of upgrading to the Falken M/Ts in 33s, as I've heard great reviews for those aswell

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm curious how a 10ply is lighter... are you looking at 2 different tires here, or a load rating option of the same tire?
I'd think the lighter tire would ride better, despite any harsh/hardness of the higher ply. It'll simply let the suspension work quicker.

My 285/75 KM2s are 10ply. And are among the lightest in the 285 M/T group. At 60lbs, they fall between the lightweights of 58/59 (mostly agressive A/T) and heaviest of 67-73 (Falken, Nitto, & General)
I can't say the ride feels any rougher than with the OEM. jarring bumps still jar the truck, swooping dips still display our awesome rear springs.
Handling isn't an issue. I mean, their M/T, so it isn't AWESOME when new. Those are some big blocks of rubber to wiggle around. Along with being a tall tire on a 7in wheel. But never felt sketchy or out of control in ANY way. They'll still corner well, its the evasive back and forth or steering under hard braking that causes them to wander. Where is always uneven with a cheap lift... so my outside edges have worn more quickly... but I'm also at 46k+ miles on them. Once aired down, they are PLENTY squishy offroad... so you won't have any issues with rough ride them either.
Partially because of ply, partially because they are a thick M/T tire... I've pulled many screws out of the tread, but NEVER had a puncture.
If I understand what I'm reading on there website, it's the same size tire with 2 different options available for load rating. The 285/70/r17 6 ply is rated as load rating C, and weighs 63.7 lbs. The 285/70/r17 10 ply is rated as load rating E, and weighs 58.9 lbs

·
on line
280 Posts
Hey, I think I’m the only one on this site with the Cooper Evo M/Ts, but I’ve only had them for a few weeks and my X isn’t my daily driver so I don’t have many miles on them. I’m going on a weekend trip over Father’s Day so I can report back after that.

So far though, I can tell you they do definitely have some extra howl, but a little music can cover that up. Wet traction is pretty good, no worse than my Cooper A/Ts. The truck feels pretty stable on the road. And they look sick and are cheap!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
( At the rate my tires are wearing I may need to swap them due to rot before tread loss)
After my original post I realized its been a while since I took time to give my tires a thorough inspection.

Sidewalls look fine.
Tread is more than sufficient.
Plentiful thin cracks are developing between the blocks of my tread.

Mileage = apx 25,000. ( I work close to home)
Year tire manufactured 2016 (not sure if I installed tire in 16 or 17)
I park in a garage

I would have expected less weather wear considering the current age and mileage

·
Registered
149 Posts
Heads up....When I bought my Falken AT3W, the 55,000 mile warranty and silica tread compound was only available for the NON LT tires. That may have changed, so check to see what is current. I went with the P metric because it had a load rating higher than the C rated LT Dura Trac, was higher than Xterra can carry, gave me silica compound and 55,000 mile warranty. I recently posted a very long post detailing my experience with a LOT of tires on my Xterra and what is important to me if you want to search for it. For my needs, nothing has come close to the Wildpeak AT3W. Unreal in snow/ice/rain. VERY good on Alpine Loop/rocky trails. Okay in mud. Never tried in sand. I absolutely hated my Cooper AT3s. HATED them. Pulled them off after 20,000 miles and sold for $100 to get rid of them. They cost me a ton of money as a storm chaser because I had to stop and chain up way too early with those vs every other tire I've run on Xterra. They hydroplaned faster so I had to run slower in heavy rain. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts