Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here - just purchased a 2005 X. I need to throw a hitch on it so I can pull a u-haul trailer for an upcoming move - it probably will not see too much use beyond this. Except maybe as a recovery or tow point.

I'm debating on the typical after market hitch or a Schrockworks bumper. This vehicle is primarily used for everyday transpo but I do plan on doing some moderate wheeling with it. Will I be sorry if I get the typical hitch in the fact that it lowers my departure angle? I'm on a tight budget, the Shrockworks bumper/hitch is more the 3x the price. Even more if I get the model with a tire carrier.

That brings up the next question - if I go the Shrock route is it worth the extra money to hang the spare tire on it? I do not plan on going larger then 265/75/16 on the tires.

Thanks for your input.

Shaun

·
on line
2,077 Posts
shrockworks will give you additional ground clearance in the rear, but if your move is soon, you'll likely not have it in time.

getting the standard hitch will get to you faster, and can always be sold off later if you plan to upgrade.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
And if you do, oh well, its just a hitch

It's not the hitch that's the problem per se.

The wire harness mount is the problem. Mine has been flatten out since the first time I went wheelin; and has been scraped, bumped, dented, etc many times since.

Dinging up the hitch isn't a problem; it's quite strong (discounting the little rubber 'guard'), and makes for a good recovery point and/or jacking point.

It's a decent product and should give you a decent return when you do upgrade to an aftermarket bumper. That's my plan.

·
on line
735 Posts
the hitch will save the bumper, actually. As far as the plug bracket getting bent over, just do the 2-1/8" holesaw mod and flush mount it to the bumper.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
mike100, have you seen that bumper mount mod for the wiring? Can't find it

·
on line
735 Posts
I have it, but I don't think I have pics. somebody else had a few decent pics. A 2-1/8 hole saw is common because the same size is used to cut holes in doors for door knobs. I did have to file a bit of a square edge in my hole to get the nissan wire harness to slip in. Once mounted, the wiring will reach the factory plug that is clipped along the bumper. You just have to make sure it isn't too far away from the center of the lic plate area.

·
on line
652 Posts
Just bought a hitch fom Curt mfg. Had them ups it to me for 120.00

Looks good and it has a step above the reciever.
I found some stick on diamond tread at Orielly auto parts for 3 bucks and stuck it on

If you want some more info on who I dealt with let me know

If i could figure out how to add a pic I would

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Yeah, I looked all \over before doing that mod and write up, the wireing harness is a Nissan factory 7pin harness and it cost me $55. Tottaly worth the expense if you ask me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts