Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I made the mistake of test driving a used X locally. It had some issues, but I think I’m hooked. It was way over priced as well. What should I expect to pay for a used X with around 100,000 miles?

Seems like a good deal is around $5-$6k with a great deal under $5,000 for a non Off-road / Pro 4X model.

seem like good for a Pro / Off road is $7-8k with a great deal around $6k?

Are those prices in line? What do you consider a normal, good and great deal for a non Pro/Off road and then the same for a Pro / Off road?

These seem to run for 200,000 - 300,000 miles. Is getting one around 100,000 reasonably safe?

·
Registered
667 Posts
These vehicles are - right now- just wayyyyy overpriced. Reality will set in and they will come back down to 'normal' prices eventually...I say 6-8 months.

If you're just radar-locked on getting one - then go with a manual transmission 2010-2015 Pro-4X Xterra.
These are the most sought after Xterra out there. ( Ask me how I know all this ).

Expect lousy gas mileage. The Xterra shouldn't be your daily driver because of this. Seriously thirsty engines.

100,000 is fine but keep in mind that's when typical maintenance issues start to rear their head...leaf springs will need replacing and shocks all around. You'd need a thorough check of the Xterra before you pull the trigger. Like any car - look for rust, look for abuse, etc. But there's lots still out there for sale !
And welcome to the forum !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not dead set on owing one tomorrow. Just trying to understand the market so I can pull the trigger. This will likely be a hunting rig / camper / eventually over land rig.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
So, I made the mistake of test driving a used X locally. It had some issues, but I think I’m hooked. It was way over priced as well. What should I expect to pay for a used X with around 100,000 miles?

Seems like a good deal is around $5-$6k with a great deal under $5,000 for a non Off-road / Pro 4X model.

Are those prices in line? What do you consider a normal, good and great deal for a non Pro/Off road and then the same for a Pro / Off road?

These seem to run for 200,000 - 300,000 miles. Is getting one around 100,000 reasonably safe?
Its wildly dependent on location and condition. Anytime a vehicle of any type exceeds 100K / 10 years your buying on condition more than year / mileage.

Here in the SE - where local cars are rust free - 4wd, 2011+ with 100K miles give or take were running $10-12K all the time prior to the pandemic. Pro4X were always much, much more.

2005-2008 ish in the same range were much lower cost, but of course your risking smod and some other things. You could definitely get one in those years for $5K. Down here at least - a rust free 4wd in decent condition of any type seems to have a $5K floor.

Post covid - add a whole bunch of money to those prices. How much more who knows - seems to be all over the map.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Agree with the prior posts, the market is too wild right now to give you a realistic number. Assuming the market levels out I agree with the numbers above.

I bought my first X (a 2011 S 6MT) for $10k with 120k on it in 2019 for another comp. At the time this was a pretty good deal from what I could see. I also only wanted a manual so that limited my pool. No major items wrong with it but the leafs were tired (used helper springs instead on new leaf packs) and I did have to replace the steering rack at 140k. Aside from those two items no real issues and she was running like a champ when she met her untimely demise last summer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, it’s seems pretty insane. Trying to get a quality ride searching nationwide, it looks like you can grab one for roughly $10k +/-

That’s Pro4X, 0 accident, auto around 100,000 miles.

Looks like I need to decide how much I need one of these right now. I’ll likely wait.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
An Xterra in good condition with around 100k for $5k would be an absolute steal in any market. An Xterra in good condition with around 100k should bring in around $12-15k in this market and won't last long either. Pro4x's with under 100k are going for $20k+ with ease in the Denver area. Looking at Carmax (which is probably the most expensive option) I've seen 2013+ Pro4x's with under 60k going for mid $30k's, which is absolutely insane. Even more insane is the mid size and full size truck market. F150's with over 100k miles are going for mid to upper $30's. Same with Titan's - I was about to pull the trigger on a 2015 Pro4x that was extremely clean with 75k miles on it and it sat on the lot for a month at $18k. Now that same truck is in the $30k range.

Like others have said, now is the absolute worst time to buy. I've been reading that the chip shortage is expected to run into mid-2022. Then I'm betting we'll see a flood of new vehicles hitting the market, hopefully with some crazy good deals along with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot about the chip deal. I’m not in a hurry - seems like I should wait till mid next year and hope for a flood of cars :)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I forgot about the chip deal. I’m not in a hurry - seems like I should wait till mid next year and hope for a flood of cars :)
That's exactly what I'm doing now. I'm working on selling off 2 of my cars while the market is hot, daily driving the beater Xterra until things calm down then either sell off the Xterra and upgrade, or keep the Xterra and get something stupid like a Challenger or Vette for daily shenanigans.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have both a Trooper and an Xterra. The Trooper has 237k and the X 147k. The Trooper has issues like a AC core leak
and oil pan leak. Those are expensive repairs. I bought the 2008 X this year, paid 7k for it but had to turn around and pay another 4k for repairs I couldn't do myself. If I had to do it over again I would have put the money into the Trooper. In my opinion I think it is a better vehicle.

As is the Trooper would be a great off road vehicle. I'll be selling that for $1500 if you are interested.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have both a Trooper and an Xterra. The Trooper has 237k and the X 147k. The Trooper has issues like a AC core leak
and oil pan leak. Those are expensive repairs. I bought the 2008 X this year, paid 7k for it but had to turn around and pay another 4k for repairs I couldn't do myself. If I had to do it over again I would have put the money into the Trooper. In my opinion I think it is a better vehicle.

As is the Trooper would be a great off road vehicle. I'll be selling that for $1500 if you are interested.
I appreciate the offer, and I like the price. But, I'm not mechanical enough to feel comfy buying a truck with close to 300k miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts