Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here's the scenario, I have a 2-Pinion E-Locker with pitted spider gears. I have found a broken 4-Pinion E Locker. The part that is broke is the passenger side part where the axle is inserted into the locker where the splines are (close to how the one broke in the picture below):

But the rest of the part is completely fine!! So my questions are:

1. Can I use the piece off of my 2-pinion e-locker to replace the broken part above? Will the "thrust washers" be the correct width?
  2. If the above will not work can I at least use the spider gears out of the 4-pinion to replace the ones in my 2-pinion that are shot?
Praying that this can be a solution as I do not have the funds for an ARB right now:/ Thank you for any and all help!!

·
on line
8,599 Posts
Damn!
I haven't seen one break like that.
I broke a cple teeth off my spider gears. I can tell you the spider gears (pinion gears) are not the same size between the different lockers.
I don't see why they would make that part different between them though. I think the only way to find out is try it. Or bring the broken one of urs with when u pick up the used one. Then see if u could disassemble the used one and see if it the same.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Spider gears are different. I don't know if that part is the same, but I would guess no. Either way, its not worth it. It can be yet more wasted time your rear end keeps costing you. Pun an ARB on a credit card and pay it off. It won't break, and if it does, you can actually buy every single piece individually, quickly and easily. These Nissan elockers leave you screwed every time another little piece breaks. End the cycle and get out now. Cut your losses. My $0.02
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Double check the spline count on the axle shafts. My understanding is they went from 32 spline to 35 spline at the same time they upgraded from 2-spider gears to 4-spider gears.

That would pretty much make them non-interchangeable parts.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I sheared off a tooth or 2 this past weekend and now when under any load the axle will slip and a loud "click" occurs... just like when I blew up my r180 in moab. F this GKN bull; I'm going to go with Jay and everyone else recommends and go ARB!!! Now the question is, what OBA system should I go with. Let the research commence!!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
All you '05-'07 2 gear locker issues.
Like my 4 gear '10 locker that doesn't have issues like those old ones did.
Not all of them are bad, just some are better then others.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
All you '05-'07 2 gear locker issues.
Like my 4 gear '10 locker that doesn't have issues like those old ones did.
Not all of them are bad, just some are better then others.
The first post in this thread talked about a broken 4 gear e-locker...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
My dream plan for a OBA setup includes:

#10 PowerTank
Single ARB air compressor
Air tank built into rear bumper

Electronic solenoid setup to handle switching of supply controlled from cab

PSI gauge in cabin

Bumper quick disconnect hook up for air supply, controlled by ball valve.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts