Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
on line
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my new radflos, no problems. Got the PRG Shackles and Deaver mini pack installed yesterday. The problem is, I am experiencing the dreaded AAL vibration. Talked with Greg, he had me try a couple of different things, nothing worked, so he is sending me some shims to install as a last resort, should be here tommorow. I snapped these pics of my driveshaft angle, it does appear to be out of alignment, just a bit. Take a look, and tell me if the angles do not match up, or if my mind is just wanting to find something wrong.

First Shot:

Another Shot:

Here is from the other side:

By the way, the lift looks sick! I will snap some pictures when I figure out the problem.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i'm suprised greg didn't send you shims with the deavers and shackles....he told me that was the reason i needed them (the combo of the two).

but, yeah, there's an angle there. shims will line it right up and should fix the problem.

·
on line
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats interesting. He was trying to explain to me how the shackles should actually help with the angle, since they are on the high end of the leafs, forcing that side down, and the other up. However, in practice, this didn't work for me.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
yeah, that is funny, when i talked to him first thing he asked was "are you running shackles", i said "yes", and he said "that's what is causing the vibrations" and sent me shims.

i don't really get the whole shackle, deaver, shims deal.....it all seems to be dependent on each individual truck.

·
on line
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, we were talking about the shackles situation before hand, maybe he forgot that I am running shackles also, since I didn't bring it up. I keep looking at those pics, and it definitely looks a little out of whack, not a ton, but probably about 3 degrees!

·
on line
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Greg,

I actually found out today that they were both in the right way. In fact, there are now arrows on the leafs? We took them out, just in case to check, and they were in the right way. I'm really starting to think I missed measured the leafs last night. (again, probably my mind trying to find a problem.)

·
on line
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have a picture of their stock leaf springs, and also of their Deaver Pack. I put in the shim, and the vibration got a lot less, however, something is still vibrating. I want to look at some different pics of either their setup. I have looked at a couple of different forums, but they did not really get in close enough. I appears that my leaf springs do not form perfectly together, and the part on the stock leaf spring where a clip of sort holds them together does not make a 90 degree hold on the top spring, and there appears to be a little bit of an arching gap between the bottom and top springs. Please take a pic of this if you can! Either stock, or after the deaver install, so I can compare mine.

·
on line
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was hard to get good shots, or I suck at photography... Anyway, here are some I snapped, you can't really see the gap, but here it is on the passenger side. You can see how tight the top 2 springs are, the bottom one doesn't appear to be in the same exact arch as the other side:

Here, you can see where that 3rd spring ends, there is a bracket. It appears to not be on properly? It also looks like in this picture that the bottom spring on the left doesn't follow the top arch.

Maybe this is all normal, but here the bottom spring gap. Kind of hard to see, but take a look in between the 2nd and 3rd spring. (bottom spring has the gap) you can also see a "defunk" bracket on the far left.

There are a couple oof other pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

·
on line
2,077 Posts
the clamps that hold the leafs together look spread open, but besides that they look normal.

what degree shims did you use? mine were 3 degrees. i did have very slight vibrations for a day or two after installing mine, but once everything settled i've been vibration free for over 6 months.

·
on line
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They were shims that Greg sent me, I would guess 3 degrees also. Was the vibration bad only at certain speeds, or all the time? I get nothing below 20mph, then around 25-35, it gets worse and worse, then it goes back to an annoyance at around 40, then nothing until 60. After 60mph, it reduces to a sort of droning, similar to a loud resonance created by an aftermarket exhaust on a sports car. The shop is supposed to start from scratch on the lift tommorow morning, taking everything off, and then putting the entire rear lift back on, with the shims. They have been sort of tinkering and experimenting the last couple of days, and with the shims its much better, but not for a vehicle with 3300 miles on it! I was kind of wondering about loading up the vehicle to help it settle faster, is this even possible?

·
on line
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm, I know before the shims were in place, there was no way it was a settling problem. Now, like I described up above, it isn't absolutely awful, just really annoying. Hey creek, do you have a higher res/larger version of that I could see? Also, did you have any vibration at all during your install, that went away after it settled like willgr1?

·
on line
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PM sent. I guess I have to figure out whether to have them just remove everything, then tighten up the clamps, and make sure everything gets installed properly, with the shims included, or just wait a couple of days, maybe go wheeling this weekend and see what happens. The cool part is that my shop has been doing about 2 days extra work for free.

·
on line
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As long as it isn't the 28th-30th, Ill be in Vegas, id be down. I guess we would have to wheel Broken Arrow, since that is the definition of Sedona offroading, nothing but slick rock, im sure you've seen pics. Other than that, its a crap shoot, there are trails all around.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts