Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble figuring out how to remove the axle from the cv joint housing. in the third picture it shows a snap ring from the how to that is supposed to allow the axle to come right out. However, i'm not seeing it. am i missing something?? Maybe since my x is a newer model 2011 its different? just need to install the extended axles

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
PM Killswitch, I know he's done this.
I heard it was a bit if pain and messy job so I cheated and brought them to a shop to get them swapped :-/
Sorry I couldn't be of more help :-/
Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
262 Posts
The axle side has a small circlip on the shaft that holds the outer joint in place. The recommended way to get it off of the shaft is to put the axle in a vise and use a slide hammer to remove. There are other ways to get it separated, but you risk damaging the CV joint.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I called and talked to him.
He had texted me a picture of it and I mistook what I saw in the picture for the inner cv so I wa giving bad directions.
Once we had that sorted out I think he is all set.

The clip is basically the same as the clip on the stub shaft that goes into the r180. When I did mine I used a 2x4 to soften the blow and make sure it was a straight on impact. Hit it fairly gently with a hammer and they pop right off.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts