Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stumped.
No codes.
Ran fine before hand. Started and before I got out of the driveway it died last night. Has not started since.
Have spark. Hear fuel pump and can smell it flooding. Checked all the fuses. Haven't checked relays. Looked for chewed wires and everything looks pretty.

Hiccuped on me a few days ago at idle but didn't die. Similar to when my cam position sensor went out. Other than that I can't figure out where to start but fairly positive its a sensor but yanking cam position sensors to test isn't ideal.

Thanks ahead of time for any input bill keep checking as I tinker

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. No light or codes.

It might just be with the intake tubes being off but I swear when I crank it it sounds like it's 180 off and I am getting an exhaust puff out the intake like a intake valves are staying open. Haven't done anything so it can't be 180 out. Don't think it's timing. I popped oil fill cap and valve train is pumping away.

Crank position sensor?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I unplugged can position sensor to rule it out. Instantly threw a code. Safe to assume crank position sensor would do the same thing and I can rule that out or should I dig under there?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IPDM!!!!

God damn Nissan. Didn't think to check it until I realized the spark I had was intermittent.

Swapped fog light and ECU relay. Fired right up. Funny thing is that the fog lights still work.

Not sure if I am going to buy a new one or run it for now

·
on line
504 Posts
What is IDPM???

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard of TSB's. Issues etc. never an actual recall. Check out your link when I get home. If I can get them to change it for free I'll be happy.

Like I said though. It makes no sense. Swapped ECU and fog light relays. Now both work. I know relays are funny sometimes but you would think if ECU relay was bad and I swapped it the fog lights wouldn't work.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I have heard of TSB's. Issues etc. never an actual recall. Check out your link when I get home. If I can get them to change it for free I'll be happy.

Like I said though. It makes no sense. Swapped ECU and fog light relays. Now both work. I know relays are funny sometimes but you would think if ECU relay was bad and I swapped it the fog lights wouldn't work.

There is a recall on the IPDM relay. Mine had already been changed out. Later on, my IPDM died, and I had to replace it (no start condition).

·
on line
8,599 Posts
Obviously it's got electricity since u say it's cranking. The next step is fuel and ignition.
If your tank is full then your not out of gas. spray some starter fluid in the intake. If it fires up, then u have spark. If it dies just as fast as it started, then ur fuel pump is no good.
If it doesn't start at all then it's ignition/ecm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts